Bluidkiti's Alcohol and Drug Addictions Recovery Help/Support Forums

Bluidkiti's Alcohol and Drug Addictions Recovery Help/Support Forums (https://www.bluidkiti.com/forums/index.php)
-   Weekly Spiritual Meditations (https://www.bluidkiti.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Weekly Spiritual Meditations - May 22 (https://www.bluidkiti.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6679)

bluidkiti 05-20-2015 11:52 AM

Weekly Spiritual Meditations - May 22

"Don't bother to give God instructions; just report for duty." - Corrie ten Boom

"People, with the ability to make choices, can choose to do bad things. And we know that the devil is bad. But what people do and what the devil does has no bearing on this simple fact: God is good. If we will but look to Him, He can take what was meant for evil and turn it around for our good. He can bring beauty out of the worst ashes imaginable." - Chris Long

We don't change God's message -- His message changes us.

“If one first gives himself to the Lord, all other giving is easy.” --Robert Harris

No matter our station in life, we can daily thank God that it is not worse than it is.

When we have God we have everything.

Right conduct can come only from a clean heart and spirit, ask God to create a pure heart and spirit in you.

Knowing ABOUT God may interest us, but KNOWING God will change us.

Let a man set his heart only on doing the will of God and he is instantly free. --A.W. Tozer

God is always molding you, shaping you, and defining you.

One of the marks of spiritual maturity is the quiet confidence that God is in control - without the need to understand why He does what He does. --Anonymous

Look for new ways to spend time with God.

In stormy times, be still and listen for God's call to follow the right path.

Even when trouble surrounds us, God will never leave us alone.

When we ask, God sets us free.

Sleepless Nights! by Mrs. P's Devotional for Today
Are you one of those who have trouble sleeping at night? Perhaps just this morning you said, “I was up the whole night—my boy was running a high fever,” or “I slept for only two hours—I was awake polishing up my presentation,” or “I couldn’t sleep at all—I was worried about the bills that are piling up.”
God “gives His beloved sleep”. Who are His beloved? You and I! Because we are in Christ, we are His beloved. (Ephesians 1:6, 2 Thessalonians 2:13)
God says, “It is vain for you to rise up early, to sit up late, to eat the bread of sorrows…” In other words, it is pointless to worry and lose sleep because the truth is, “Unless the Lord builds the house, they labor in vain who build it; unless the Lord guards the city, the watchman stays awake in vain.” (Psalm 127:1)
So let God be the one who builds your career and watches over your financial investments. Let Him be the one who guards your health, marriage and children. Don’t worry and stay up late as if you are the source of the increase, or the one who has the power to make things happen and save the situation. No, God is the one and He says to you, “My beloved child, throw that care to Me and go to sleep.” And while you are sleeping, He is working on your situation. He, who neither slumbers nor sleeps (Psalm 121:3–4), works the night shift for you as you sleep!
But because we are such doers and performers, it is hard for us to let go and let God take over. But when we actually do, casting all our cares, anxieties and worries once and for all into His hands, we will see how He cares for us affectionately and watchfully. (1 Peter 5:7) We will see Him taking care of our problems and working things out for good. (Romans 8:28) Trust your Father’s love for you. Cast your cares on Him and have no more sleepless nights
Psalm 127:2 It is vain for you to rise up early, to sit up late, to eat the bread of sorrows; for so He gives His beloved sleep.

Is Your Bag Heavy Enough? Author Unknown
One of my teachers had each one of us bring a clear plastic bag and a sack of potatoes. For every person we'd refuse to forgive in our life experience, we were told to choose a potato, write on it the name and date, and put it in the plastic bag. Some of our bags, as you can imagine, were quite heavy.
We were then told to carry this bag with us everywhere for one week, putting it beside our bed at night, on the car seat when driving, next to our desk at work.
The hassle of lugging this around with us made it clear what a weight we were carrying spiritually, and how we had to pay attention to it all the time to not forget, and keep leaving it in embarrassing places. Naturally, the condition of the potatoes deteriorated to a nasty slime.
This was a great metaphor for the price we pay for keeping our pain and heavy negativity! Too often we think of forgiveness as a gift to the other person, and it clearly is for ourselves as much as anyone!!
So the next time you decide you can't forgive someone, ask yourself.... isn't your bag heavy enough?
"And when you stand praying, if you hold anything against anyone, forgive him, so that your Father in heaven may forgive you your sins." (Mark 11:25)

Here Comes The Son by Rod Marshall
Luke 13:18-19 – He said therefore, "What is the kingdom of God like? And to what shall I compare it? It is like a grain of mustard seed that a man took and sowed in his garden, and it grew and became a tree, and the birds of the air made nests in its branches." (ESV)
At a supermarket recently, I found shelving on which were displayed some seeds to sow for annual flowers. I had wanted to plant some sweet peas for the garden to improve the soil and to grow something that was colourful and that will stand a fighting chance of growing up behind my crocosmia bulbs, which are already belligerently in shoot and several inches tall.
Anyway, later, I was in the garden emptying the packets of seeds into my hand, ready for planting, when I was struck by the details and flowchart data shown on the back of the packets. These depicted the best times to plant the seeds and when they would flower. It gave information about what was the best type of soil, how far apart to sow seeds, and what was the best aspect for them to grow in. Sweet peas love sunshine.
I was reminded that God has picked each one of us. We are not left sitting on the shelf. By the power of the Holy Spirit, God has put new life in us, so that, at the right time, we may bring forth flower and fruit for the kingdom and a smile to the face of God. We are planted and grow to bring Him delight, no matter what our circumstance. Some, like me, have had a shaky start to life, and needed pruning, replanting, or some cosseting, but eventually, He has planted us out, superficially vulnerable in the world. We may face the extremes of heat or cold, grief or joy, hardship or favour, but being deeply rooted in Him, we will never be left untended and alone, because the Son shines on us, and this causes us to grow.
So let us bathe in His radiance, reach up, and grow today towards Jesus, our cultivator and giver of life, to honor His name, and in due time, to blossom and bear fruit.
Prayer: Lord, we thank You that Your signature and creativity is evident in the world around us, seen and unrecognized. We rejoice in the mystery of a creator God Who has chosen each one of us. We give You the praise and the glory today, in Jesus' name. Amen.

THE ANSWER by Joseph J. Mazzella
Fifteen years ago I found myself working in a local lumber mill. The hours were long. The work was dangerous. And the pay was low. Every day was a struggle physically. The heat was oppressive in the summer and the cold was constant in the winter. My back would burn with pain from the constant bending, lifting, and carrying. My feet would ache from standing the entire day. The skin around my fingernails would split and bleed from the continuous work my hands were doing. I tried to keep my spirits up while I worked there, but day by day I felt myself wearing down. Every morning I would place Band-Aides around my fingers and pull on my worn out work boots. And every night I would drag myself home smelling of sweat and sawdust, and collapse on the couch.
One evening I felt like I could take it no more. I cried out to God as I drove home alone. "Why God?" I said. "Why am I working myself to death here just to survive? Why couldn’t I find a better job than this? Why am I having to go through this right now?"
I wasn’t really expecting an answer, but God loves to surprise us. As I struggled up the steps to my front door, I found all three of my young children waiting for me with smiling faces.
"Daddy, Daddy!" my daughter yelled. I smiled and picked her up with my weary arms. Then after hugging and kissing them all, I laughed for the first time in days and sat down peacefully. Later, I thanked God for His answer. It had given me the strength I needed to go on.
Eventually I moved on to a better job, but I never forgot that answer to my questions. With it God had gently reminded me of the simple truth. We may have to work to live, but we live to love. May you always fill your days with love. May you always fill your life with joy. And may you always find God’s answers everywhere you go.

The Viperous Tongue: Blessing Those Who Hurt by Ruthie Oberg
“But to you who are listening I say: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you. If someone slaps you on one cheek, turn to them the other also. If someone takes your coat, do not withhold your shirt from them. Give to everyone who asks you, and if anyone takes what belongs to you, do not demand it back. Do to others as you would have them do to you” (Luke 6:27-31, NIV).
Not too long ago I had to take a first aid course, which was so interesting to me.
Our first topic of discussion during the course was snake bites. According to our book, one of the worst things you can do after being bitten by a snake is to try to chase the snake to kill it yourself. Apparently, when running after a snake, the poison works its way through your circulatory system more quickly as you exert yourself in pursuit. In reality, you would do better to lie quietly and try to do something about the poison that’s already inside you.
Since taking the first aid course, I’ve thought a lot about snake bites, and the similarities they play to real-life situations. At times in my life, it has felt like I had been bitten by a “snake.” Someone spoke an unkind word, made rude remark, or was just plain mean—and their actions left me feeling as if I had just been bitten by a viperous tongue. In those brief moments following the attack, I had a choice to make in how I responded. Would I chase after the snake, and seek justice from my attacker? Or should I work on ridding myself of the poison that might be working its way through my system?
The natural reaction is, of course, to take revenge, but seeking adequate justice once you’ve been attacked is unlikely to produce the desired result. Often, the chase only serves to strengthen the potency of the poison within you.
So that leaves only one option—take some time to get the poison out! How do we do this? Jesus gives us some great advice in Luke 6 when He tells us to love our enemies. He gives four specific actions to tell us exactly what to do. We are to:
Love them
Bless them
Pray for them
Give to them
Why would Christ outline this model for us? Because He knows that our natural tendency when attacked is to want to punish, retaliate, defend, and seek revenge. We want others to hurt in the same way they have hurt us. However, in doing this, we often do great injury to our witness and ourselves! How many nights of sleep have you lost thinking over past “bites” when the one who “bit” you is home fast asleep? Who’s really being punished here?
That’s why Jesus gives us an alternative. Doing good, blessing, praying, and giving are antidotes for the poisons in my spiritual bloodstream. Is there someone who has “bitten” you? Are you spending too much energy chasing the poison left in your system? Are you drained? Can you find healing? My advice: take time to heal, and allow God to lead your steps following the attacks of life. Ask the Lord to show you how doing good, blessing, praying, and giving might just be the antidote you’re looking for!

The Open Door Policy: Hospitality in Ministry by Joanna Weaver
I should be genetically predisposed to hospitality. Growing up, my parents had an “open-door” policy—everyone was welcome in our home. I saw the difference an open heart and home can make in people’s lives. After all, the root word of hospitality is hospital. There’s something incredibly healing about tangible, lived-out love.
When I married and entered ministry at the age of nineteen, I was certain hospitality would be a breeze. After all, I had the china (thanks to the Bon Marche bridal registry).
True, my cooking repertoire left a bit to be desired, but I had Kraft macaroni and cheese to fall back on. How hard could it be?
Yet after nearly twenty years of ministry, I still haven’t mastered the art of hospitality. Oh, I have excuses. I’m busy, the house is a mess, and I’m still not a very good cook. But the truth is, hospitality won’t happen unless I begin loving and living on purpose.
Perhaps that’s why Paul tells us in Romans 12:13 to practice hospitality. In other words, there’s room for imperfection, paper plates, and laughter when things don’t turn out right.
In fact, I think a cup of hot popcorn given in His name may minister more than a five-course meal given to further mine. My attention will be focused on my guests rather than on my performance. And isn’t that what hospitality’s all about?
“Start small. But begin.” I love that old Quaker saying. In fact, I’m feeling like doing something crazy—like inviting someone over on the spur of the moment without trying to figure whether I’ll have time to shove the dirty dishes into the oven and still get my pantyhose out of the bathroom.
I don’t want my ministry, or my love, to stop at my front door. I want to say with Paul,
“We loved you so much that we were delighted to share with you not only the gospel of God but our lives as well, because you had become so dear to us” (1 Thessalonians 2:8).
Sharing our lives—that’s hospitality.

Believe First And You Will See by Mrs. P's Devotional for Today
You may have heard some people say, “How can I believe it when I don’t see it? If I can only see it or feel it, I may just believe that something is happening!” A certain woman with the issue of a blood condition who came to Jesus could have felt the same way. For 12 long years, she had gone from one doctor to another, trying every conceivable cure they could offer. She not only grew worse, but ended up losing all her money to those doctors and their “cures”.
Then, something happened to her when “she heard about Jesus”. (Mark 5:27) She started believing that He could and would heal her to the extent that she said, “If only I may touch His clothes, I shall be made well.” (Mark 5:28) Acting on her belief, she made her way to Jesus and touched His garment. Immediately, her bleeding stopped and she felt in her body that she was healed of that affliction. Jesus, her true physician, also pronounced her healed. God wants you to know that when you believe Him, you will see your miracle. What you believe Him for, you will receive.
When a certain church member lost her wallet at a swimming pool, she prayed together with her husband, declaring their belief that God would restore the loss. One day later, not at the swimming pool but at her feet in the car, she found her wallet! She simply believed that God would restore her loss and she saw the restoration.
In another case, a lady who had skin cancer wore long sleeves all the time to conceal her condition from others. During a certain church camp, she went forward for prayer, believing God for her healing. After the pastor prayed for her, she went back to her room, rolled up her sleeves and saw that all the cancerous scarring on her arms had disappeared! Her doctor later confirmed that she had been cured of skin cancer. She believed God for healing and saw it.
The world says, “Unless I can see it or feel it, I will not believe it.” But God says, “If you will believe it, you will feel it. Indeed, if you will believe it, you will see it!”
Matthew 8:13 as you have believed, so let it be done for you.

Small Straws In A Soft Wind by Marsha Burns
There is a difference between surviving and thriving. You can survive many things and even escape disaster by the skin of your teeth, but it is My will for you to thrive in the midst of conflict and upheaval. I would have you think of everything that you encounter and endure as an opportunity to grow spiritually. View every circumstance as a way to establish yourself in Me, says the Lord. John 17:22-23 And the glory which You gave Me I have given them, that they may be one just as We are one: I in them, and You in Me; that they may be made perfect in one, and that the world may know that You have sent Me, and have loved them as You have loved Me.

You are the sum total of your opportunities and choices in life, and it would be good for you to review the past briefly to understand more completely where you are now and how you got here. There are adjustments to be made at this juncture, and the more understanding you have, the better able you are to have sound judgment, says the Lord. Let Me lead you through these critical decisions. Joel 3:14 Multitudes, multitudes in the valley of decision! For the day of the LORD is near in the valley of decision.

Beloved, I would have you use your losses and setbacks to draw near to Me. Allow your faith to be perfected in the midst of difficult situations as you seek to know Me and My purposes more completely. Even in darkness I am near, says the Lord. Remember that I am your help and comfort in times of need. Psalms 119:50 This is my comfort in my affliction, for Your word has given me life.

In a vision I saw a flock of sheep on a beautiful and hilly meadow. They were grazing peacefully when joy came upon them, and they began to play and run and jump. The joy seemed to be contagious. And, I heard the Lord say, "I am unleashing a wave of peace and joy that will be undeniable. It cannot be missed or overlooked. Allow it to move you. It will bring new spiritual life. This awakening will not be a rude and noisy wake-up call; it will be gentle and filled with peace. It will take you to a new level of relationship with Me. Be sensitive to this moving of My Spirit." Romans 13:11 And do this, knowing the time, that now it is high time to awake out of sleep; for now our salvation is nearer than when we first believed.

The Trumpet by Bill Burns
"Set the trumpet to your mouth!" Hosea 8:1
You are not only My children, but you have the potential to be My friends. And, as friendship begins to come alive within your spirit, you will ask and receive those things that you need. You will receive even the things that you have not asked for because I know before you ask exactly what it is that you need. So, all that is provided for you will become yours because you are one with Me and walking with Me; because you have found that position of unity of spirit. And, by the Spirit, you shall not only know those things that pertain to you and the life that you are living, but you shall also be positioned in your faith to receive all that I have spoken to you in these days, says the Lord.

Walking Close by Connie Campbell Bratcher
Lord, walking close to Your precious side,
My hungry soul is satisfied…
I Praise Your Holy Name!
Your green pastures always feed my soul
Since You redeemed and made me whole…
I’m So Thankful You Came.
Lord, I need You more than words can say,
You light my life, and show the way…
In You, My Soul is Free.
Help me to know Your will, follow You,
And give You praise in all I do…
You’re Everything to Me.
You and Your law are my hearts delight,
As I meditate day and night…
All My Needs are Supplied…
The greatest joy in this whole wide world
Is found as great blessings unfurl…
Walking Close to Your Side.

TRIUMPHS by Ruth R. Martin
I've never climbed a mountain high;
Perhaps I never will.
But I have walked in fellowship
With God upon a hill.
I've never braved a torrent,
'Tis much too wild for me.
But I have stood by waters still
And heard God speak to me.
I've never been to royal court
And bowed before a king;
But I shall kneel before God's throne
And hear the angels sing.
I've never lived in foreign lands,
Though pleasant it would be,
But I shall dwell in Beulah Land
Beside the crystal sea.
I've never strolled in marbled halls
Their beauty fair to see,
But I have been on Holy Ground
For God was there with me.
I've never seen a battle fought
Upon a bloody field,
But I have seen Life's vict'ries won
Upon Golgotha's Hill.
I've never crossed the ocean
Or channel deep and wide,
But I shall cross o'er Jordan
With Jesus by my side.
I've never felt an earthquake's rage-
I hope 'twill never be,
But I have felt God's still, small voice
Bring peace and joy to me.
I've never strayed midst hist'ries ruins
Their glories past to see,
But God has planned my future-
And that's enough for me.

The LORD is my strength and my song; he has become my victory. He is my God, and I will praise him; he is my father's God, and I will exalt him! Exodus 15:2

Those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:31

"As for God, his way is perfect. All the LORD's promises prove true. He is a shield for all who look to him for protection. For who is God except the LORD? Who but our God is a solid rock? God is my strong fortress; he has made my way safe. He makes me as surefooted as a deer, leading me safely along the mountain heights. 2 Samuel 22:31-34

To the chief Musician, A Psalm of David, the servant of the LORD, who spake unto the LORD the words of this song in the day that the LORD delivered him from the hand of all his enemies, and from the hand of Saul: And he said, I will love thee, O LORD, my strength. The LORD is my rock, and my fortress, and my deliverer; my God, my strength, in whom I will trust; my buckler, and the horn of my salvation, and my high tower. I will call upon the LORD, who is worthy to be praised: so shall I be saved from mine enemies. Psalm 18:1-3

Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer.
Psalm 19:14

But be not thou far from me, O LORD: O my strength, haste thee to help me. Deliver my soul from the sword; my darling from the power of the dog. Save me from the lion's mouth: for thou hast heard me from the horns of the unicorns. I will declare thy name unto my brethren: in the midst of the congregation will I praise thee. Ye that fear the LORD, praise him; all ye the seed of Jacob, glorify him; and fear him, all ye the seed of Israel. For he hath not despised nor abhorred the affliction of the afflicted; neither hath he hid his face from him; but when he cried unto him, he heard. My praise shall be of thee in the great congregation: I will pay my vows before them that fear him. The meek shall eat and be satisfied: they shall praise the LORD that seek him: your heart shall live for ever. All the ends of the world shall remember and turn unto the LORD: and all the kindreds of the nations shall worship before thee. For the kingdom is the LORD'S: and he is the governor among the nations. Psalm 22:19-28

Behold, I am the LORD, the God of all flesh: is there anything too hard for me? Jeremiah 32:27

May God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ give you his grace and peace. 2 Corinthians 12:2

From Confession to Redemption by John Baker
I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit in you; I will remove from you your heart of stone and give you a heart of flesh. — Ezekiel 36:26
Our neighbor’s dog was a sweetheart, and everyone in the neighborhood loved her. But she had a talent for getting out of the yard. One day she managed to escape and was hit by a car, leaving her badly injured and lying in a ditch. We rushed to help her, but as so often happens with injured animals, she lashed out at us, growling, barking, and snapping. The dog’s owner wouldn’t take no for an answer, though. He pushed past her hostile response and took care of her because he loved her.
I have had times in my life when I was the one lying in the gutter, broken and hurting. God came to me there and pushed past my angry and hostile reactions because He loves me. In spite of my restless behavior and my foolish protests, He stuck with me, healing, restoring, and changing me.
God has big plans for me, too big to leave me lying in the gutter, licking my own wounds. He has a plan to get me back on my feet and make me productive for His kingdom. He’s given me a new heart and a new spirit, and He’ll never give up on me because He loves me.
Prayer: Father, thank You for picking me up and putting me back on my feet. Thank You for loving me so much that You helped me even when I fought against Your loving care. Amen.
Your Turn: Can you think of a time in your life when you lashed out at God out of pain and He didn't give up on you? What happened? How did He put you back on your feet? Are there people you can think of who are lying in the gutter, licking their wounds? How can you push past their hostility and love them through?

Dear God: I want to thank you for what you have already done. I am not going to wait until I see results or receive rewards; I am thanking you right now. I am not going to wait until I feel better or things look better; I am thanking you right now. I am not going to wait until people say they are sorry or until they stop talking about me; I am thanking you right now. I am not going to wait until the pain in my body disappears; I am thanking you right now. I am not going to wait until my financial situation improves; I am going to thank you right now. I am not going to wait until the children are asleep and the house is quiet; I am going to thank you right now. I am not going to wait until I get promoted at work or until I get a job; I am going to thank you right now. I am not going to wait until I understand every experience in my life that has caused me pain or grief; I am going thank you right now. I am not going to wait until the journey gets easier or the challenges are removed; I am thanking you right now. I am thanking you because I am alive. I am thanking you because I made it through the day's difficulties. I am thanking you because I have walked around the obstacles. I am thanking you because I have the ability and the opportunity to do more and do better. I am thanking you because you have not given up on me. God is so good, and He's good all the time. Amen.

Read Through The Bible
Job 5
Eliphaz: Job Is Chastened by God
1 “Call out now; Is there anyone who will answer you? And to which of the holy ones will you turn? 2 For wrath kills a foolish man, And envy slays a simple one. 3 I have seen the foolish taking root, But suddenly I cursed his dwelling place. 4 His sons are far from safety, They are crushed in the gate, And there is no deliverer. 5 Because the hungry eat up his harvest, Taking it even from the thorns, And a snare snatches their substance. 6 For affliction does not come from the dust, Nor does trouble spring from the ground; 7 Yet man is born to trouble, As the sparks fly upward. 8 “But as for me, I would seek God, And to God I would commit my cause—9 Who does great things, and unsearchable, Marvelous things without number. 10 He gives rain on the earth, And sends waters on the fields. 11 He sets on high those who are lowly, And those who mourn are lifted to safety. 12 He frustrates the devices of the crafty, So that their hands cannot carry out their plans. 13 He catches the wise in their own craftiness, And the counsel of the cunning comes quickly upon them. 14 They meet with darkness in the daytime, And grope at noontime as in the night. 15 But He saves the needy from the sword, From the mouth of the mighty, And from their hand. 16 So the poor have hope, And injustice shuts her mouth. 17 “Behold, happy is the man whom God corrects; Therefore do not despise the chastening of the Almighty. 18 For He bruises, but He binds up; He wounds, but His hands make whole. 19 He shall deliver you in six troubles, Yes, in seven no evil shall touch you. 20 In famine He shall redeem you from death, And in war from the power of the sword. 21 You shall be hidden from the scourge of the tongue, And you shall not be afraid of destruction when it comes. 22 You shall laugh at destruction and famine, And you shall not be afraid of the beasts of the earth. 23 For you shall have a covenant with the stones of the field, And the beasts of the field shall be at peace with you. 24 You shall know that your tent is in peace; You shall visit your dwelling and find nothing amiss. 25 You shall also know that your descendants shall be many, And your offspring like the grass of the earth. 26 You shall come to the grave at a full age, As a sheaf of grain ripens in its season. 27 Behold, this we have searched out; It is true. Hear it, and know for yourself.”

Lord, I have a longing to be a better person in my daily life. I ask you today to edify my mind to your teachings, invigorate my soul with your wisdom and to reinforce the love in my heart towards others. Amen.

Wherever you are in life, whatever you've done, you can begin again. If you do not have Jesus in your life and wish to ask Jesus into your life please go to this link now to do so: http://www.bluidkiti.com/forums/showthread.php?t=130 .
Jesus is calling you to live a life that matters.