View Single Post
Old 12-28-2020, 11:59 AM   #40
bluidkiti
Administrator

December 28

Quote of the Week

"Be kind, be loving, be quiet."

I used to have a lot to say. At parties or gatherings, I had to make sure everyone was listening to the stories or jokes or opinions I had, because, don’t you know, I knew everything. And after a few drinks, I became the obnoxious attention-seeker whom people avoided. I was so self-absorbed that I didn’t even notice I was not getting invited to things, and by the end of my drinking, I didn’t care anymore.

In early sobriety, I couldn’t wait to give my opinions. When I was called on to share, I’m sure many people rolled their eyes as I told them why alcoholism wasn’t really a disease, and why I was there to just dry out and learn how to drink normally again. “Keep coming back,” was a phrase I heard often. Finally, my sponsor suggested I listen more and share my thoughts with him one on one after meetings. After many inventories, much Step work, and a lot of time, I understood the wisdom of this advice.

I’m a completely changed man today. I am sincerely interested in other people’s journey and experiences, and today I look to be of service whenever I can. I understand the value of kindness, and I look for opportunities to practice love and tolerance. I also appreciate the gift of remaining quiet and letting others express themselves. I love to listen to their stories and learn from their unique points of view. Today, I’d rather listen than share, and as such, both I and others enjoy our interactions more.
We stay sober and clean together - one day at a time!
God says that each of us is worth loving.