Thread: Support Systems
View Single Post
Old 10-29-2014, 02:17 PM   #1
bluidkiti
Administrator

Default Support Systems

Support Systems by Joan C. Webb

Luke 5:18-20: "Some men were carrying...a man who was paralyzed...to...let him down through the tiles with his stretcher...in front of Jesus" (vv.18-19 NASB).

During my recovery from burnout, I met a friend. God put her in my life to be a "stretcher bearer." When I could not help myself, she was there. I telephoned her when my hands shook and my heart ached. She listened and affirmed my genuine desire to change; to be the person God wanted me to be. When weeks turned into months, months into years, and I still felt nauseated and unable to feel the love of others, she waited patiently for me to get well. She did not offer me quick advice, or quote scripture verses, or give reasons for my dilemma. She supported my recovery, even though she never mentioned the word.

At times I think she was confused by my rambling, and saddened by my pain, yet I never got the impression she felt responsible for my health. She left the responsibility with me and expected God to work.

Our paths rarely cross now, though we remain friends. She was a part of God's support system when I was most needy. Have there been any "stretcher bearers" in your life? Whom can you count on now for support and encouragement?

Lord, help me to extend and to accept support.
We stay sober and clean together - one day at a time!
God says that each of us is worth loving.
bluidkiti is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links