View Single Post
Old 11-13-2015, 06:12 AM   #13
bluidkiti
Administrator

November 13

Wisdom for Today

In recovery the task is not to "get well," but getting well. There is no cure for our disease; it can only be arrested. Our ability to stop drinking and using is not determined by what we do, but by God's grace. However, our ability to stay clean and sober is in large part determined by our willingness to go to meetings, work the steps (all of them) and following where our Higher Power leads us. We have to walk the walk; God reads the road map. If I begin to think that some day I will be well and able to drink or use normally again, I am already in trouble. However, if I think about how to follow God's will for me and pray for power to carry out His wishes, then I will be on the path moving toward getting well. Recovery is about progress and not perfection.

The good news is that I only need to worry about this for twenty-four hours at a time. I know that the experience of thousands of addicts and alcoholics does not lie. Each of us that works a program can indeed make progress toward getting well. Sometimes this progress is slow and painful. At other times it happens so quickly that it seems as if our lives get completely turned upside down. Regardless of how the progress is made, it is still progress. The promises of the Twelve Step program await us all, but we must work for them with the help of our Higher Power. Am I working the program one day at a time?

Meditations for the Heart

It was a good thing that I was so stubborn when I was using. I would not let anything or anyone get in the way of my goal to get drunk or high. You may ask how this was a good thing. Certainly my drinking and drugging simply destroyed everything in my life. It is not the using that I am talking about. It is the stubborn part. I knew deep in my heart that I had an ability to persevere. This has helped me a lot throughout all of my recovery process so far. I knew if I persevered in all that God guided me to do, I would end up on the right side of progress. There have been times when I grew tired or even felt like I wasn't getting anywhere. But if I remained persistent, then things started to change or improve. Sometimes the thing that I needed to be most persistent in was trusting my Higher Power. As long as I kept my hope in God, as I understand Him, I could not fail. Am I as stubborn about my recovery as I was about getting high?

Petitions to my Higher Power

God,
Today I want to be persistent in my journey. Help me to persevere in my endeavors to follow where You lead me. Give me strength to carry out the tasks set before me and help me remember I only need to do this one day at a time. Help me to keep my sights on the promises that the program offers and the promises that You offer me as well.
Amen.
We stay sober and clean together - one day at a time!
God says that each of us is worth loving.
bluidkiti is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bluidkiti For Sharing: