Links

Join

Forums

Find Help

Recovery Readings

Spiritual Meditations

Chat

Contact

Go Back   Bluidkiti's Alcohol and Drug Addictions Recovery Help/Support Forums > Daily Recovery Readings, Spiritual Meditations and Prayers > Daily Recovery Readings
Register FAQ Community Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search Chat Room

Share This Forum!  

Daily Recovery Readings Start your day here with Daily Recovery Readings. Feel Free To Share Your Experience, Strength & Hope.

Post New ThreadReply

Old 09-01-2022, 06:09 AM   #1
bluidkiti
Administrator

Default Today's Thought - September

September 1

We cannot become what we want by remaining what we are.

~Max De Pree

We need to let ourselves change. To try new things. To have exciting adventures. We shouldn’t stay closed to recovery, its principles, and the fellowship, but should instead jump in! Nothing grows by staying the same. We are meant to develop and help others develop into the best they can be. This is the opposite of addiction where we helped others and ourselves develop into the worst we could be.

Addiction made us rigid and afraid of change. Now we embrace change. With each new day, we should challenge ourselves to try a new adventure. But we need to make sure the new adventures fit within our values, support our sobriety, and honor our Higher Power.
Prayer for the Day

Higher Power, help me overcome fear, anger, and resentment. Help me to embrace change and become the person you want me to be.
Today's Action

I will commit to trying one new thing today, something that honors my values, my sobriety, and my Higher Power.

Today's reading is from the book God Grant Me: More Daily Meditations from the Authors of Keep It Simple*
We stay sober and clean together - one day at a time!
God says that each of us is worth loving.
bluidkiti is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-02-2022, 05:23 AM   #2
bluidkiti
Administrator

September 2

The problem of the individual is not clarified by stressing the antagonism between the individual and society, but by stressing their mutual reinforcement.

~Ruth Benedict

Since the time of Romanticism, with its emphasis on the opposition between the artist and society, some societies have tended to stress the values of the individual over and against those of the social order. We speak much of individual will and freedom, and less about ideas and ideals of community.

Perhaps that is why many of us feel so alone. Some of us, particularly if we’re male, have been brought up to be independent, self-reliant, and competitive, and we may now find this a burden rather than a blessing.

We now have the chance to forge new bonds and create new relationships. Our Twelve Step program has carefully and deliberately evolved as a self-supporting community whose basis is mutual help and whose ethic is love, not competition. As we learn to live the program each day, we carry this message to others who may suffer from lives of isolation and destructive addiction.

I am proud to be a member of a group that prizes love and community above all else.

Today's reading is from the book Answers in the Heart
Old 09-03-2022, 06:34 AM   #3
bluidkiti
Administrator

September 3

Pass It On

It is well to give when asked, but it is better to give unasked, through understanding.

~Kahlil Gibran

Each of us is equally responsible for the future wellbeing of our fellowship. Each of us, having had a spiritual awakening as a result of these Steps, is called on to carry the message to others and to continue practicing these principles in all our affairs.

The key to our ever-present renewal as a fellowship is the fact that we can’t stay recovered unless we share our recovery. It is always in our self-interest to pass it on. The sharing we do in our meetings acts like a breeder reactor for recovery.

When we’re asked to share, we can “Pass it on.” But we can also “Pass it on” by simply understanding even when not asked. In our first meeting, we knew that these people understood what we were going through even without their sharing. That feeling kept us coming back. We knew we were home.

The program has taught me that the price for serenity and sanity is self-sacrifice. I will pass it on.

Today's reading is from the book Easy Does It: A Book of Daily Twelve Step Meditations*
Old 09-04-2022, 06:35 AM   #4
bluidkiti
Administrator

September 4

Do not use a hatchet to remove a fly from your friend’s forehead.

~Chinese proverb

Some of us are prone to criticizing others’ behavior even when they don’t ask for our opinions. Although sharing observations is sometimes good, we must explore our motives. Are we honestly trying to help? Or are we subtly putting others down in order to boost our self-esteem?

In God’s world we are equal, absolutely. We’re all on separate though very related journeys, and we have an opportunity to thoughtfully help each other, every moment. In this respect, gentle feedback may help someone get back on track, but hoisting ourselves up at another’s expense doesn’t help him or her, and it harms us greatly.

Our spiritual well-being suffers when we criticize others needlessly. The only sure way of helping friends live fulfilling lives is to love them and gently support them in their struggles. Their happiness will benefit the rest of us, too.

I will remember that my words can help or hinder. I will benefit from using soft words today.

Today's reading is from the book In God's Care: Daily Meditations on Spirituality in Recovery*
Old 09-05-2022, 06:11 AM   #5
bluidkiti
Administrator

September 5

You can be anything you want to be if you want it bad enough and are willing to work for it.

~Mardy Kopischke

Being anything we want to be sounds too good to be true. The key, of course, is being willing to work for what we want. Perfectionistic though we may be, it’s still likely that most of us want to excel in every pursuit without the necessary hard work: Playing golf four times should mean no more whiffs. Being on the job nearly every day of the month should mean mastery of our career. There’s a difference, however, between being perfectionistic and working hard.

Knowing that a hobby, a task, a sport, requires hard work shouldn’t take the fun out of it but often does. We mistakenly think that we have chosen an impossible sport if we fail to demonstrate improvement each time we play. But we can learn how to do a task if we are willing to focus our undivided attention on it. Only then can we understand its subtleties. Only then can we be open to the help our Higher Power has promised.

I will be willing to work hard on every task I face today. With hard work and the willingness to practice, I will improve.

Today's reading is from the book A Woman's Spirit: More meditations for Women*
Old 09-06-2022, 05:52 AM   #6
bluidkiti
Administrator

September 6

Ritual is the way you carry the presence of the sacred. Ritual is the spark that must not go out.

~Christina Baldwin

We celebrate birthdays, anniversaries, births, graduations, and holidays. These events mark important times and turning points. Many of us have not honored these rituals, or we have doubted their meaning in life. Some of us have seen rituals used in false and hollow ways, and as a result deprived ourselves of the honest and deep rewards that flow from true and meaningful observances. Many of us are awakening from a time when all of life lost its meaning, and rituals also seemed empty.

Now we are transforming into men who are not cynical, who don’t diminish the landmarks in our lives. So we send birthday cards, we light a candle for the memory of a departed grandparent, and we give a gift to acknowledge our partner’s special day. The ritual of observing one month of sobriety can be even more meaningful than one decade’s observance. All events deserve some attention to mark those times. They bring us to attention. In our humility, we accept the attention, and we give attention to others.

Today, I will take note of important life events and will plan to mark them with appropriate rituals.

Today's reading is from the book Stepping Stones: More Daily Meditations for Men*
Old 09-07-2022, 03:51 AM   #7
bluidkiti
Administrator

September 7

AA Thought for the Day

“To one who feels he is an atheist or agnostic, a spiritual experience seems impossible, but to continue as he is means disaster. To be doomed to an alcoholic death or to live on a spiritual basis are not always easy alternatives to face. But we have to face the fact that we must find a spiritual basis of life—or else. Lack of power is our dilemma. We have to find a Power by which we can live, and it has to be a Power greater than ourselves.” Have I found that Power by which I can live?
Meditation for the Day

Sunshine is the laughter of nature. Live out in the sunshine. The sun and air are good medicine. Nature is a good nurse for tired bodies. Let her have her way with you. God’s grace is like the sunshine. Let your whole being be wrapped in the Divine Spirit. Faith is the soul’s breathing in of the Divine Spirit. It makes glad the hearts of human beings. The Divine Spirit heals and cures the mind. Let it have its way, and all will be well.
Prayer for the Day

I pray that I may live in the sunshine of God’s spirit. I pray that my mind and soul may be energized by it.

Today's reading is from the book Twenty-Four Hours a Day: A Spiritual Resource with Practical Applications for Daily Life*
Old 09-08-2022, 04:26 AM   #8
bluidkiti
Administrator

September 8

Whenever you fall, pick something up.

~Oswald Avery

There was once a very active boy who fell and broke his leg. He could run again in the spring, the doctors said, but only if he stayed in bed for an entire month and kept his leg still. At first the boy fought the rule, but he found that the more he thought about things he couldn't do, the more tired and angry he felt.

His parents put in a phone by his bed and friends called every day. He'd never much liked talking on the phone, but he felt better when they called. He wrote letters and got replies, and was surprised at what fun it was. Usually, he didn't have time to write letters.

He learned to play chess and began to enjoy reading. His days were slower and quieter than he'd been used to, but he learned a month really isn't a very long time. When spring came, he was running again, a little more joyfully than before.

When we can learn to accept our troubles, we find, like the boy, that they are just packages in which new growth and discoveries are wrapped.

If something unexpected slows me down today, what joys might I find at the slower pace?

Today's reading is from the book Today's Gift: Daily Meditations for Families*
Old 09-09-2022, 05:08 AM   #9
bluidkiti
Administrator

September 9

The Master doesn’t talk, she acts. When her work is done, the people say, “Amazing: we did it, all by ourselves!”

~Lao-tzu

Our Higher Power works like the Master. Quietly. In fact, we usually take the credit ourselves!

We’re like a child who bakes cookies for the first time. A parent found the recipe, bought the ingredients, and got out the bowl and pans and spoons. They told us what to do and finished when we got tired. Then they cleaned up after us. We proudly served our cookies, saying, “I made them all by myself!”

In recovery, our Higher Power helps and teaches us every step of the way, just like a loving parent.
Prayer for the Day

Higher Power, thank You—for my life, for my recovery, for love, for hope, and for faith. Thank You for teaching me how to live in a better way.
Action for the Day

I’ll list five ways my Higher Power has acted in my life.

Today's reading is from the book Keep it Simple: Daily Meditations for Twelve Step Beginnings and Renewal*
Old 09-10-2022, 06:08 AM   #10
bluidkiti
Administrator

September 10

Life is change … Growth is optional … Choose wisely.

~Karen Kaiser Clark

We can certainly count on change. We become fathers, our children become more independent, we make new friends, and other friends move away. When a man clings too tightly to the status quo or tries to control the direction of change, he is bound to be disappointed. We are like skiers on a mountain. We must continue down the slope. We can vary our speed somewhat, but if we stop for too long we will get cold or hungry; if we ski too fast, we may have a serious fall. Part of the pleasure is in not being able to control or predict every circumstance we will meet.

We don’t control which loved ones come into our lives and which ones go or whether we become ill or stay healthy. We don’t control life’s opportunities. We can control how we choose to respond to these transitions. Whatever happens can be used for growth, and we can commit ourselves to use all experiences that way.

Today, I will not try to control change but will choose to use whatever happens for growth.

Today's reading is from the book Touchstones: A Book of Daily Meditations for Men*
Old 09-11-2022, 05:34 AM   #11
bluidkiti
Administrator

September 11

You Owe It to Yourself

You have done what countless millions have not or would not do. Under the direst of conditions, you have proven that you have what it takes to complete the mission. And now, as you continue the process, remember to include yourself. First and foremost, include yourself.

As your journey continues, put yourself up front. Give reality to the ghosts of your past. Once that’s done, stop trying to alter your past. Don’t regret your past, but don’t shut the door on it. It is what it is. It should be a life lesson, not a life sentence. Manifest your best future. An infinite amount of possible futures wait for you to decide which one will be reality for you. Only you can decide which one.

Just for today, for this moment, at this time, I will put myself first.

~Ed C., U.S. Army, 1975–1979

Today's reading is from the book Leave No One Behind: Daily meditations for Military Service Members and Veterans in Recovery*
Old 09-12-2022, 05:41 AM   #12
bluidkiti
Administrator

September 12

Dealing with now

When we were using, we kept avoiding the present moment (it was too painful) by using mood-altering substances. In recovery, we see that right now is all we have. If we avoid it, we avoid life.

Whether it’s getting to school or work, taking care of other daily duties, or staying sober, am I doing what I need to be doing right now?

Higher Power, help me be strong enough to do what I need to do right now.

Today I will improve my level of awareness by…

Today's reading is from the book Day by Day: Daily Meditations for Recovering Addicts*
Old 09-13-2022, 05:33 AM   #13
bluidkiti
Administrator

September 13

Reflection for the Day

“Prayer does not change God,” wrote Søren Kierkegaard, “but it changes him who prays.” Those of us in the program who’ve learned to make regular use of prayer would no more do without it than we’d turn down sunshine, fresh air, or food—and for the same reason. Just as the body can wither and fail for lack of nourishment, so can the soul. We all need the light of a Higher Power’s reality, the nourishment of a Higher Power’s strength and grace. Do I thank my Higher Power for all that I’ve been given, for all that has been taken away from me, and for all that has been left for me?
Today I Pray

Dear Higher Power: I want to thank you for spreading calm over my confusion, for making the jangled chords of my human relationships harmonize again, for putting together the shattered pieces of my Humpty Dumpty self, for giving me as a sobriety present a whole great expanded world of marvels and opportunities. May I remain truly Yours. Yours truly.
Today I Will Remember

Prayer, however simple, nourishes the soul.

Today's reading is from the book A Day at a Time: Daily Reflections for Recovering People*
Old 09-14-2022, 05:17 AM   #14
bluidkiti
Administrator

September 14

With a little effort, assets can be enhanced.

When we prepare to work our first Fourth Step we shudder, certain we’ll fail to discover a single asset. It’s okay to ask other people how they did a Fourth Step and what assets they recognize in us. Getting over the resistance to doing this Step is what’s important at this stage of our growth. We all have assets. Maybe they don’t seem as numerous as our liabilities, but we can identify our assets and work to accentuate them each day.

It’s easy to take other people’s inventories, easier than taking our own. We had taken lots of inventories before discovering a Twelve Step program. But now we need to focus exclusively on our own inventory. We can’t expect to change in ways that enhance our well-being if we don’t give careful attention to all our parts. While it’s true that some of our parts may be enviable already, other parts may need work. We can add them to the “enviable” list by practicing healthy ways of interacting every time we are tempted to be critical of others.

It becomes a challenge, one that we’ll enjoy, when we decide to emphasize our assets, watching how they change our lives.

I will accentuate my positives today and have a lot more fun.

Today's reading is from the book A Life of My Own: Meditations on Hope and Acceptance*
Old 09-15-2022, 06:15 AM   #15
bluidkiti
Administrator

September 15

All the poems of our lives are not yet made.

~Muriel Rukeyser

We can point to signs of progress in the evolution of our healing and maturing. We have taken steps in developing our relationships with ourselves, other people, and Spirit. We have begun to accept and forgive ourselves and others. We have welcomed fresh ideas about our identities and possibilities for growth. Whether gradually or suddenly, we have let in new attitudes and begun to cultivate new habits. New selves are continuously evolving out of the old as we become free of what is no longer true for us.

Conscious awareness of how much we have changed over time can give us hope for our future. We can look forward expectantly for more good to enter our lives. We can make worthy commitments, so that we ourselves have a hand in gently guiding our transformation into the people we wish to become.

Today, I commit myself to healing transformation.

Today's reading is from the book Glad Day
Post New ThreadReply