Links

Join

Forums

Find Help

Recovery Readings

Spiritual Meditations

Chat

Contact

Go Back   Bluidkiti's Alcohol and Drug Addictions Recovery Help/Support Forums > Daily Recovery Readings, Spiritual Meditations and Prayers > Daily Spiritual Meditations > Weekly Spiritual Meditations

Share This Forum!  

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-05-2014, 03:21 PM   #1
bluidkiti
Administrator

Icon24 Weekly Spiritual Meditations - 3/7

To overcome a difficulty in your life: believe in the character of God . . . He is good; believe in the power of God . . . He will bring you through; believe in the love of God . . . He cares for you deeply and He will not abandon you. --Roy Lessin

Failure doesn't mean God has abandoned you, it does mean God has a better idea! --Robert Schuller

Young and old and in between, we all need God.

When we look for Christ in those around us, we see them differently.

God's love can soften the hardest heart.

"Stop telling God how big your storm is. Instead, tell your storm how big your God is."

God answers prayers in three ways -- yes, no, and wait. May each one of us be able to call on and listen to the Lord today, whatever is happening in our lives.

Oh No! More Snow! by Sharon Greer
Jeremiah 31:3 – The Lord appeared to us in the past, saying: "I have loved you with an everlasting love; I have drawn you with unfailing kindness." (NIV)
Looking out the window first thing this morning, I see that it is snowing again. I can almost hear the moans and groans of the commuters.
Normally, I would be moaning and groaning right along with them at the thought of more shovelling. But this time, my mind went in a surprisingly different direction.
The gently falling flakes brought to mind the innumerable blessings that God pours out on us every day. Sometimes, they come like a quiet whisper, and we fail to notice them until after the fact.
For example, in February, many of us were blessed with lovely valentine cards sent to us by those who care about us. I wonder how many of us thought about the fact that God sends us valentines in the form of innumerable blessings, not just on one specific day of the year, but every day, reminding us again and again how much He loves us.
Unfortunately, we all too often take this love for granted and come to accept it as a sort of entitlement, never thinking to say, "Thank You!"
May I suggest that the next time you wake up and see softly falling snow, take the opportunity to thank Him for His countless blessings, instead of moaning and groaning? I guarantee you that you will be blessed and will start the day in a much better frame of mind. I know that I did.
If we began to write down our blessings the moment we woke up, I wonder when we would finish writing. I leave you with a challenge. When you have a few spare hours, see how many pages of blessings you can accumulate. You will be astonished at what the Lord has done.
Forgive us, Lord, for our lack of awareness, for taking so many of Your blessings for granted, and for wasting our energy complaining instead of thanking You. Help us to count our blessings, to name them one by one, and to give You praise for what You have done, what You are doing, and what we know You will yet do in our lives. This we pray in Jesus' matchless and powerful name. Amen

GETTING THINGS DONE by Steve May
PSALM 90:12
Three things I've noticed about productive people.
1. They're protective of their time. They don't waste their time and they don't let others waste their time. They tend to ask themselves, "Is this the best thing I can be doing at this moment?"
2. They know how to say to no. Productive people spend most of their time doing things that take them in the direction of their goals. They know how to make the distinction between a good use of their time and the best use of their time. Productive people know that their time and strength and resources are limited. You can't do everything that everyone else wants you to do; you can only do what God has called you to do. It's important to know how to say, "no."
3. They limit the number of projects they pursue. I've never met a truly successful person who was spread too thin. They tend to dig deep, not wide. Productive people invest more of their time in fewer projects. The result is that they get more done.
Some people I've known who were supposedly good with managing time were, in fact, abrupt and impatient, always with the impression that you're imposing. It doesn't have to be that way.
Effective time management doesn't mean that you're always in a hurry. It means that you're always focused on doing what matters. This includes, sometimes, just hanging out with your kids and doing nothing. It includes, sometimes, swapping stories with co-workers and employees. It includes, sometimes, sitting in a park and just thinking about what's happening in your life.
William Penn said, "Time is what we want most, but what we use worst." Using time well is a lifelong pursuit, a never-ending process of weeding and pruning.
Psalm 90:12 in the New Living Translation says, "Teach us to make the most of our time, so that we may grow in wisdom." May your use of today bring God glory and lead you closer to him. [SM]

Taste Test By Sally I. Kennedy
Taste and see that the Lord is good; blessed is the man who takes refuge in him. Psalm 34:8
We pulled into a packed parking lot and looked for a slot. This particular turnpike stop had an eye-catching fruit stand out front. The salesperson encouraged me as she held out a plate of samples, "Take a taste; they're so juicy!"
I didn't need much pressuring. They looked beautiful, now for the taste test. They were as delicious as they were pretty to look at.
We bought a bag, and opened them as soon as we got back on the highway. Peeling off the skin, separating the sections of the orange, I ate a piece still attached to the peel. The fruit was seedless and sweet, but the inside of the peel was bitter. The acrid taste lingered.
The bible verse popped into my mind, "Taste and see that the Lord is good" (Psalm 34). Then another, "Test the spirits to see whether they are from God" (1 John 4), because Even the elect (believers) can be deceived (Matthew 24).
Just because something is a 'good thing' doesn't necessarily mean it's a 'God thing'. In addition to choices between good and not good, there are sometimes choices between good, better, and best. Thankfully we don't have to determine this just on intuition; Holy Spirit guides us.
That is good news.

SALESMAN -- a man with the ability to convince his wife that she'd look fat in mink.
Each of us, in our own way, is a salesman. We are trying to promote ourselves, our ideas, our preferences. We may not consciously think about it, but in one subtle way or another, even the most timid among us wants to feel important and liked. We want to be respected for who we are.
Is it wrong to have a feeling of self-worth? Is it wrong to want to have a feeling of self-worth? Of course not! It is when we feel we are superior to others that our self-worth opinion has crossed the line. In Romans 12:3 (niv) we read, “…Do not think of yourself more highly than you ought, but rather think of yourself with sober judgment in accordance with the measure of faith God has given you.”
We should not have an inflated opinion of ourselves, but neither should we have a deflated valuation of our worth. As I stress so often, the keyword is balance, and I hope that by God’s grace you will find that important balance in your own life. You may not be an Einstein, but neither are you junk, so lift your head up high. You are special to God, therefore, you should be special to yourself. --Dave George

Old People
The LORD says, "Even to your old age and gray hairs I am he, I am he who will sustain you. I have made you and I will carry you; I will sustain you and I will rescue you." Isaiah 46:4
MY mother gave me some old family pictures that I could copy for our children. There are pictures of my grandmother's grandparents, aunts, and uncles. When I was a child, I thought a couple of my aunts were really old. Now that I am on the far side of 60, I realize how wrong I was when I looked at these family pictures. The people in them looked very young, as my parents do in the photo from their 25th wedding anniversary celebration. Another misconception about aging I had was that seniors slow in their walking were also old-fashioned in their thinking.
Now I am one of the "old people" to children. Recently a first-grader at a school where I volunteer said, "You are really old." I don't feel that way. My mind still seeks to embrace new learning, although my body is reluctant to move as swiftly as it once did. Regardless of our age, we are all children in God's sight. What a wonderful concept to consider! I am a beloved child of God. I can depend on God to meet my needs and curl up at rest in God's loving arms, no matter what my age. --V. Louise Cunningham
Prayer: God of all ages, help us to remain open to the new things you want to do in our lives, no matter what age we are. Amen.

Quieted With His Love by Tom Norvell
As I worked my way through some devotional readings, I came across this passage: The LORD your God is with you, he is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing. (Zephaniah 3:17) I thought of my life. I thought of what the passage says about God and how He feels about me. He is mighty to save. He will take great delight in me. He will quiet me with his love. He will rejoice over me.
I confess that although I do not know if I fully understand what it means to be quieted by His love, I do know that there is something inside me that says, "I need that, Lord!" As I pondered more, I prayed, "Lord, please quiet me with Your love."
"Lord, please quiet me with Your love.
"Lord, I get loud sometimes. Not so much verbally loud, but my spirit gets loud. My heart gets loud. My mind gets loud. The world around me gets loud and the loudness overwhelms me to the point that everything within me and around me seems to be loud. So, Lord, please quiet me with Your love.
"In these times of unrest and confusion in our nation and world, I need to be quieted by your love, dear Lord. Decisions are being made that may well change the way we live and function as a people. Lord, please quiet me with Your love.
"As the years pass more rapidly than my mind can comprehend, I need to be quieted with Your love. I cannot keep up. I try, but I seem to fall farther and farther behind. Lord, please quiet me with Your love.
"In times when I fear for my very life and for the lives of my family and friends, I need to be quieted by Your love. In times when my spirit is under attack by the Enemy to such an extent that I begin to wonder if You are still there, I need to be quieted by Your love. Lord, please quiet me with Your love.
"In times of discouragement when I have failed to live like You have asked me to live, I need to be quieted by Your love. In times of disappointment over dreams that have faded and when other people have failed to live up to my expectations, I need to be quieted by Your love. Lord, please quiet me with Your love.
"In times of loss and my heart has been broken, I need to be quieted by your love. In times of sadness when a joyful spirit seems too much to consider, I need to be quieted by Your love. Lord, please quiet me with Your love.
"In times of suffering and pain as the result of another's actions or my own, I need to be quieted by Your love. In times when others are suffering because of my actions and I am helpless to undo what I have done, I need to be quieted by Your love. And they need to be quieted by Your love. Lord, please quiet me with Your love.
"In times of distress and anxiety over all that I must do, or feel that I must do, I need to be quieted by Your love. In times when life is so loud that I cannot hear my own thoughts, I need to be quieted by Your love. Lord, please quiet me with Your love.
"Unless You quiet me with Your love, dear Lord, my life will surely be filled with noises that may drown Your voice from my ears. Lord, I need to be quieted by Your love.
"When I remind myself that You are with me, when I contemplate Your power, when I consider that You take great delight in me and when I think of You rejoicing over me with singing because of Your love for me, I am quieted. My heart is quieted. My spirit rests.
"Lord, You have quieted me with Your love."
"The LORD your God is with you, he is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing." (Zephaniah 3:17)

Small Straws In A Soft Wind by Marsha Burns
You, beloved, are My ambassadors sent to represent Me on the earth. Make sure that your lives are an accurate representation of My kingdom. Your true heart will be revealed not just by what you say but by what you do. See that you treat others with kindness and love, says the Lord. Be a vessel where My Spirit can dwell. 2 Corinthians 3:2-3 You are our epistle written in our hearts, known and read by all men; clearly you are an epistle of Christ, ministered by us, written not with ink but by the Spirit of the living God, not on tablets of stone but on tablets of flesh, that is, of the heart.

You can make great progress spiritually at this time, but you must be willing to let go of everything that will keep you where you are. Your stubborn refusal to let go of whatever represents comfort or security will become a stumbling block to your own personal liberty. Be willing to rise up from where you've been and soar in the Spirit on your thermals of faith, says the Lord. Isaiah 40:31 But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint.

When you find yourself in a position of correcting others, make sure that you do not do so from a haughty position, or one of lording your power over them. Rather, keep an attitude of humility that stems from a desire to help and strengthen others. Problem-solving is most effective when all parties involved are assured of their liberty and equality. Exercise your respect for others, says the Lord. Philippians 2:3 Let nothing be done through strife or vainglory; but in lowliness of mind let each esteem other better than themselves.

Beloved, let the light of My truth shine in you to expose the darkest recesses of your being. There are still things hidden that must be revealed for the purpose of setting you free, says the Lord. Righteousness must be restored before your own light can shine unhindered by the darkness of carnal living. Set your heart on purity. Matthew 5:16 Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven.

The Trumpet by Bill Burns
"Set the trumpet to your mouth!" Hosea 8:1
I hear the Spirit of the Lord saying: You have heard, now apply My word. You have seen and, therefore, know the way that is prepared for you. Walk in that way, and all things will come to a place of victory in your life. For, if you have recognized your potential in Me this day then that foundation of faith, that great foundation of faith, will release all things that are necessary for you to live a victorious life. Your faith will be intact when the devil comes in like a flood, and you will raise up the standard of victory even before he comes into your house. So, run to the wall, raise the standard and declare your freedom. Declare that you are victorious in all situations, ruling over your circumstances, for they shall come to a place of application and accountability in Me. And, when that happens it will become an opportunity for you to come higher than ever before.

Teach me How to Pray
Please teach me, God ...
I want to know
Exactly how to pray.
I need some words Which ones are right?
Please tell me what to say.
I've bowed my head
I have knelt down,
But ... should I be upright?
I've closed my eyes,
I've raised my hands,
Or ... should I fold them tight?
Do I stand up?
Should I sit down?
Dear Lord ... what do you like?
Are lights turned on
Or are they off?
Maybe ... candle light?
Wear my glasses?
Take them off?
Be at my desk or table?
Should I whisper?
Speak out loud?
Do I quote the Bible?
What do you think About the time?
Do You prefer the dawn?
Should I pray fast,
Or keep it slow?
Better short ... or long?
I'm new at this
What are the rules?
I want to do it right.
How do I know
You'll even hear That I am in Your sight?
And while I sat there quietly,
Waiting for some sign,
I heard a gentle voice say,
"Oh, dearest child of mine ...
Do you think I really care
About the time of day,
Or whether you are standing up,
Or kneeling when you pray?"
"I don't care about your posture,
Or about the place you choose;
Just open up your soul to me,
I have no other rules.
Tell me what is in your heart,
And tell me what you seek;
Tell me of your sorrows,
And of those things that made you weak."
"Speak to me in private
About what concerns you most;
I know about your good deeds ...
You have no need to boast.
My child, you don't need lessons,
Just talk to me each day;
Tell me anything you want, dear child,
Anyone can pray."
--Virginia Ellis

Divided
Looking through the fog trying to see the other side.
Wondering how I got here, in the middle of this divide.
Between comfort and pain. Between joy and sorrow.
Between insane and sanity. Between today and tomorrow.
GOD I cannot move. I'm in a trap without release.
I struggle against its grip. Lord I need peace.
Tears are in vain. And I cry out one word.
Jesus .......
Praying I will be heard.
Suddenly the fog shifts. A veil falls in its place.
I am enveloped in peace. Tears are dried from my face.
HE heard my cry for help.
HE took the uncertainty away.
HE filled me with peace.
HE is in my heart to stay.
--Marica Friday's Child

"Arise, shine, for your light has come, and the glory of the LORD rises upon you. Isaiah 60:1

Do not forget to entertain strangers, for by so doing some people have entertained angels without knowing it. Hebrews 13:2

By wisdom a house is built, and through understanding it is established; through knowledge its rooms are filled with rare and beautiful treasures. Proverbs 24:3-4

Above all, love each other deeply, because love covers over a multitude of sins. Offer hospitality to one another without grumbling. Each one should use whatever gift he has received to serve others, faithfully administering God's grace in its various forms. If anyone speaks, he should do it as one speaking the very words of God. If anyone serves, he should do it with the strength God provides, so that in all things God may be praised through Jesus Christ. To him be the glory and the power for ever and ever. Amen. 1 Peter 4:8-11

The entire law is summed up in a single command: "Love your neighbor as yourself." Galatians 5:14

And do not forget to do good and to share with others, for with such sacrifices God is pleased. Hebrews 13:16

How good and pleasant it is when brothers live together in unity! Psalm 133:1

"Holding Patterns" Author Unknown
Many times, God will allow a painful situation or a painful circumstance in our life to "swallow us up." This season in our spiritual growth is a holding pattern. We can't move to the left or the right. All we can do is sit, like Jonah sat in the belly of that great fish, so God can have our undivided attention and speak to us.
God put Jonah in a holding pattern because He needed to speak to his heart. Jonah was all alone. There were no friends to call, no colleagues to drop by, no books to read, no food to eat, no interferences, and no interruptions. He had plenty of time to sit, think, meditate, and pray.
When we're deep down in the midst of a difficult situation, God can talk to us. When He has our undivided attention, He can show us things about ourselves that we might not otherwise have seen.
A few of God's holding patterns:
1. When you are sick in your physical body and you have prayed but you're not yet healed, you are in a holding pattern.
2. When you are having problems with your children and you have put them on the altar, but God has not delivered them yet, you are in a holding pattern.
3. When you have been praying for a loved one to return to God, and they have not come back yet, you are in a holding pattern.
4. When you are in a broken relationship and you have given it over to God, but it has not been restored yet, you are in a holding pattern.
5. When the doors slam shut before you can even knock on them, you are in a holding pattern.
When we are deep in the belly of a difficult situation, there are no interruptions. God has our undivided attention. All we can do is sit, think, meditate, and pray. Like Jonah, we cannot run from God, because there are no mountains that are high enough, valleys that are low enough, rivers that are wide enough, rooms that are dark enough, or places that are hidden from Him.
We must remember to praise Him while we're waiting, and remember three things:
1. The pattern has a purpose.
2. The pattern has a plan.
3. The pattern has a process.
So stop struggling and start listening, praying and trusting. He'll keep you right where you are until you can clearly hear Him say, "I love you."
Suggested Prayer: Father, forgive my unbelief. I know you love me and I will come to see the benefit of everything in my life, even this holding pattern, and the manifestation of my Good is assured through You. You have planned nothing for me but victories and I am ready to receive them regardless of how difficult the path.

Teach us justice, Lord. Remind us to love and respect all your children the same, as you do. Amen.

Read Through The Bible
2 Chronicles 12
Egypt Attacks Judah
1 Now it came to pass, when Rehoboam had established the kingdom and had strengthened himself, that he forsook the law of the Lord, and all Israel along with him. 2 And it happened in the fifth year of King Rehoboam that Shishak king of Egypt came up against Jerusalem, because they had transgressed against the Lord, 3 with twelve hundred chariots, sixty thousand horsemen, and people without number who came with him out of Egypt—the Lubim and the Sukkiim and the Ethiopians. 4 And he took the fortified cities of Judah and came to Jerusalem. 5 Then Shemaiah the prophet came to Rehoboam and the leaders of Judah, who were gathered together in Jerusalem because of Shishak, and said to them, “Thus says the Lord: ‘You have forsaken Me, and therefore I also have left you in the hand of Shishak.’” 6 So the leaders of Israel and the king humbled themselves; and they said, “The Lord is righteous.” 7 Now when the Lord saw that they humbled themselves, the word of the Lord came to Shemaiah, saying, “They have humbled themselves; therefore I will not destroy them, but I will grant them some deliverance. My wrath shall not be poured out on Jerusalem by the hand of Shishak. 8 Nevertheless they will be his servants, that they may distinguish My service from the service of the kingdoms of the nations.” 9 So Shishak king of Egypt came up against Jerusalem, and took away the treasures of the house of the Lord and the treasures of the king’s house; he took everything. He also carried away the gold shields which Solomon had made. 10 Then King Rehoboam made bronze shields in their place, and committed them to the hands of the captains of the guard, who guarded the doorway of the king’s house. 11 And whenever the king entered the house of the Lord, the guard would go and bring them out; then they would take them back into the guardroom. 12 When he humbled himself, the wrath of the Lord turned from him, so as not to destroy him completely; and things also went well in Judah.
The End of Rehoboam’s Reign
13 Thus King Rehoboam strengthened himself in Jerusalem and reigned. Now Rehoboam was forty-one years old when he became king; and he reigned seventeen years in Jerusalem, the city which the Lord had chosen out of all the tribes of Israel, to put His name there. His mother’s name was Naamah, an Ammonitess. 14 And he did evil, because he did not prepare his heart to seek the Lord. 15 The acts of Rehoboam, first and last, are they not written in the book of Shemaiah the prophet, and of Iddo the seer concerning genealogies? And there were wars between Rehoboam and Jeroboam all their days. 16 So Rehoboam rested with his fathers, and was buried in the City of David. Then Abijah his son reigned in his place.

God, I give you my life, I am letting go. When given a life situation that requires choice, I will ask "What would my God do?"

Wherever you are in life, whatever you've done, you can begin again. If you do not have Jesus in your life and wish to ask Jesus into your life please go to this link now to do so: http://www.bluidkiti.com/forums/showthread.php?t=130 .
Jesus is calling you to live a life that matters.
We stay sober and clean together - one day at a time!
God says that each of us is worth loving.
bluidkiti is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Post New ThreadReply