Links

Join

Forums

Find Help

Recovery Readings

Spiritual Meditations

Chat

Contact

Go Back   Bluidkiti's Alcohol and Drug Addictions Recovery Help/Support Forums > New to Bluidkiti's Recovery Forums? > Newcomers Recovery Help and Support

Share This Forum!  

Newcomers Recovery Help and Support Stop in here if you are new to recovery and share with us. Feel free to ask questions and for support here.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-01-2013, 01:39 AM   #1
MajestyJo
Super Moderator

Default Accepting Life

Quote:

What is accepting life? Is it thinking everything is hunky dorey? I don't think so!

For me, a lot of it is accepting that I can handle life without picking up and having to use to deal with it.

Life didn't get better, I did. It is one of the spiritual principles of the first step. Until I can accept the fact that 'I' have a disease, not those around me, not those I work for, not my siblings, parents and spouse, but me!

Accepting the fact that in the past, the only way I could deal with life was to use. Not just prescription drugs and alcohol, but people, places and things. Looking to be accept, looking for attention, looking for affirmation, "Hey aren't I wonderful!" because couldn't find it within myself. I couldn't accept myself, so I had to go look for someone who did. I had to use something that made me not care how I felt, and I used places to distract me from what was going on because I didn't want to acknowledge it, or I found a place to hide in, or I just went out and got lost in the crowd. I looked for love in all the wrong places! It may be a song, but it was a theme for many years of my life.

If I can't accept me, then I am unable to accept life. Self-esteem, self-worth and self-respect were not something I knew existed. They were beaten out of me a long time ago, if I ever had them in the first place.

I have learned in life that I have to accept it, but I don't have to like it.

I have learned that by accepting life, it gives me more serenity.

I have learned that my acceptance will bring me to a point where I can be honest with me, and surrender to the fact that I am not in control.

God grant me the Serenity,
To accept the things I cannot change,
The courage to change the things I can,
And the wisdom to know the difference.

It is the last line that was my problem. I didn't realize I was as smart as I thought I was, and that I was in control and could change anything. Then I found some truth, my truth, that when I surrendered to my Higher Power, I was empowered to do what ever I needed to do for myself. The courage came, the direction came, and sometimes all it said was, "Let go!"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image01212.jpg (16.9 KB, 22 views)

Love always,

Jo

I share because I care.

MajestyJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Post New ThreadReply