Links

Join

Forums

Find Help

Recovery Readings

Spiritual Meditations

Chat

Contact

Go Back   Bluidkiti's Alcohol and Drug Addictions Recovery Help/Support Forums > Daily Recovery Readings, Spiritual Meditations and Prayers > Daily Spiritual Meditations > Weekly Spiritual Meditations

Share This Forum!  

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-16-2013, 02:08 PM   #1
bluidkiti
Administrator

Icon24 Weekly Spiritual Meditations - 3/1

No matter what our gifts, God loves each of us. God’s only request is that we use our talents wisely and fully.

When God leads us to the edge of the cliff, trust Him fully and let go, only 1 of 2 things will happen, either He'll catch us when we fall, or He'll teach us how to fly.

When we are trying sincerely to serve God, we will have other and greater rewards than the world has to offer.

When we feel like running away, run to God.

When we feel discouraged, remember that God is near, listening carefully to every prayer and answering each prayer in order to give us His best.

When we see suffering, we can use it as an opportunity to service God by helping others.

When we meet new trials, review the good things God has done in our life and this will strengthen our faith.

Whom Are You Working For? by Kristi Huseby
“Choose today whom you will serve…But as for me and my family, we will serve the LORD.” (Joshua 24:15, NLT)
He stood there with anger flashing in his eyes, “Where is the fax that came in yesterday at four o’clock?”
Unsure why his wrath was directed at me, I replied, “I don’t really know where it is since I left the office yesterday at three.”
“Well, you are responsible for all faxes that come in whether you are here or not! I expect you to know exactly where they are because each one is vital to this company!!”
This was the way it had been ever since I had started working there. The accusations had run the gamut from not knowing where faxes were to stealing, lying and even embezzling money. I thought this job was going to be the perfect solution for my family. It fit well with my kid’s school schedules and it was an answer to our prayers but I was beginning to wonder about that.
I had stepped into a very sticky situation. My boss’ wife had been working as the office administrator and it really wasn’t her strength. There was tension between the two of them and she had decided to look for another job. As I worked to reorganize the office I was constantly put in no-win situations.
Day after day this went on and I wanted to turn and run. I didn’t need this insanity in my life. But each time I brought it before the Lord; I would feel Him say to me, “Who are you working for, him or Me?”
(Sigh) “You, Lord.”
“Then why are you running?”
“The pain is too raw; I don’t think I can bear it any longer! I’ve been accused of so many things that aren’t true. I don’t deserve this.”
“My dearest daughter, I didn’t deserve it either but I did it for you! I know about the pain you’re experiencing and I know you are much stronger than you think you are. I have a plan. Do you believe that? I understand about being accused of things that are untrue and having people destroy your reputation. But remember, your reputation is my reputation. Do you trust Me?”
With hesitancy I promised, “Yes, Lord, I will trust You!”
I did but it was one of the hardest things I have ever done! I worked for nine months and nothing ever changed. Well, nothing except me! God was at work in my life molding and making me into a stronger, more determined, more passionate woman of faith.
Each day I made a choice not to run but to follow, fully surrendering my life to His will. My mantra became: “My reputation is Your reputation and I trust You.” Was I perfect in this situation? Not even close but I learned to lean on God, to ask Him for strength because I knew there was no way I could do it on my own.
Let me ask you, what do you do when you find yourself accused of something you didn’t do? Do you have the tendency like me to want to run? Do you find yourself second-guessing your decisions instead of embracing the struggle and opening your heart to what God wants to teach you?
In the Old Testament, Joshua stands before the people and says, “Choose today whom you will serve. . . But as for me and my family, we will serve the LORD.” (Joshua 24:15 NLT)
Without reservation, holding nothing back, I choose Jesus! What will your choice be?
Father, Remind me that my comfort is not the most important thing, my character is. When the days are hard help me to be quick to run to You, my strength and shield, my portion forever. Amen
Question: Have you ever been in a situation where your character was called into question? How did you respond? What did you learn?

Decide to Change! Author Unknown
If you are serious about changing... The first person you must know is yourself.
Human nature seems to endow us with the ability to size up everybody except ourselves. If you're not comfortable with yourself, you won't be comfortable with others. And if you don't believe in yourself, your lack of self-worth will undermine you in life. One marriage counselor says, "The most important relationship you will ever have is with yourself. You've got to be your own best friend first."
But how can you be best friends with someone you don't know, like, or respect? That's why it's important to discover what God's called you to be, then work at becoming that person. And you won't get there overnight; it's a process – one that requires a mindset of honesty, frequent repentance and constant self-correction. But if you commit yourself to it God will help you.
The first person you must work on is yourself.
Dr. Samuel Johnson said, "He who has so little knowledge of human nature as to seek happiness by changing anything but his own disposition, will waste his life in fruitless efforts, and multiply the grief which he purposes to remove." The Bible says, "Examine yourselves." (2 Corinthians 13:5) Only as we examine ourselves before God do we discover where our true battles lie.
Then we've got a choice. We can be like the man who visited his doctor and found out he had serious health issues. When the doctor showed him his x-rays and suggested surgery, the man asked, "Ok, but how much would you charge just to touch up the x-rays?" Or, you can decide to change!

FIREWORKS Author Unknown
A few weeks before Independence Day, I noticed a fireworks stand in a parking lot in our city. It reminded me of the many wonderful fireworks shows I've attended with my family. There's something magical about those brilliant colors exploding against the dark sky.
But there's a problem with fireworks. They don't last. The same is true of many of the "fireworks" experiences in our lives. We fight and struggle for things that seem beautiful and alluring, but after we get them, their appeal disappears, just like fireworks. Maybe it's a shiny new car or dream vacation. Maybe it's a big, impressive house. It might even be a promotion at work or a prestigious career.
So many of the things of this world are like fireworks. They promise happiness and fulfillment but can't deliver. TV commercials play on our emotions, making us believe that if we drive a certain kind of SUV or clean our floors with their super-efficient mop, we'll be happy at last. More often than not, all we feel is disillusioned.
If you've had enough of these "fireworks" experiences and the letdowns that follow, I challenge you to pursue the only thing in life that doesn't disappoint: a personal relationship with Jesus Christ. The astounding thing about loving God is that it actually gets better every day. Once you give your heart to Jesus, you'll have happiness and fulfillment that lasts into eternity, and you'll never want to go back to "fireworks" experiences again.
"Since, then, you have been raised with Christ, set your hearts on things above, where Christ is seated at the right hand of God. Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things." (Colossians 3:1-2)

Stand Out Rose by Sally I. Kennedy
This is what the Lord says, he who created you, he who formed you: Fear not, for I have redeemed you; I have summoned you by name; you are mine. Isaiah 43:1
On the side of our house, my husband has a small rose garden. He plants, prunes, fertilizes, and sprays the bushes. We so enjoy the beauty of the blooms, as well as their wonderful fragrance.
A few months ago, he set 2 or 3 of the rose bushes, still in plastic pots, aside. They were nearly dead and he planned to throw them away, but he forgot. So they stayed there, and they became overgrown with tall grass and weeds.
Today when I opened the shutters, I immediately noticed this tiny rose bud outside the window. It stood out because of the bright color, in contrast to the dark shades of green all around it. The stem was about a foot high, and the little flower a beautiful pinkish-orange hue.
There it was, rising out of the midst of the stubble and weeds. It's amazing what God can grow out of an overgrown cast-off pot. HE is the One who can grow something beautiful out of anything, and in everyone. In fact, He is just waiting for the chance for us to let Him. That's good news!

What's A Little Snow Going To Hurt? By Katherine Walden
And the longer you delay, the more your sin gets strength and rooting. If you cannot bend a twig, how will you be able to bend it when it is a tree? Richard Baxter
Living in a northern climate, I consider myself a hearty person and well able to withstand the elements. There is a certain camaraderie in my neighbourhood that stands out during these winter months. You might think -15 F weather would cause my city to drop to its knees. Not so. Seniors bundle up and sport ice picks on their canes and place snow grips on their sturdy winter boots. Teens saunter down the sidewalk trying to act tough but only succeeding in looking miserable and cold by leaving their coats wide open. Even a few joggers can be seen making their way past scooters, walkers and wheelchairs.
Recently the steady stream of pedestrians along a major thoroughfare in my city hit a snag and slowed to a crawl. On one side of the avenue, a major construction site routinely blocked the sidewalk as monster trucks loaded and unloaded equipment. On the other side? One unshoveled stretch of sidewalk, not more than 25 yards in length. After several snowfalls, the foot traffic on top of the windrows left behind by the snow ploughs made the sidewalk utterly impassable for those in wheelchairs and scooters or those who are unsteady on their feet. A well beaten path had been trampled on the snowy lawn as a detour. I am sure several complaints were made to city hall as it is the law in my city that sidewalks must be cleared within 48 hours of a snowfall. There are volunteer agencies who will shovel the walks of the elderly and the infirm. There is no excuse for a lack of compliance. Eventually, the sidewalk was cleared, looking as if it had been done by a city crew. If city crews cleared the sidewalk, the property owners received a stiff fine.
Baxter's quote came to mind as I had to deal with that unshoveled sidewalk. If the property owner had dealt with the first skiff of snow, then the next, they would have found the task to be simple. Snowfall after snowfall compacted the ice, slush and snow into hard ridges and deep ruts. Perhaps I am a 'Pollyanna', but perhaps that the owner wasn't aware of the hardship caused to others by their lack of action. Being on a corner lot, they could not see the sidewalk in question as it faced the side of their house that has no windows.
It is easy to try to convince oneself, "As long as I am not hurting anyone, why should it be wrong if I were to procrastinate. I have plenty of time to repent after all." And yet, when we do not deal with sin in our lives, each new sin falls upon the ground on which previous sin already lies, eventually creating a danger not only to ourselves but to anyone else who would cross our path.
Let's keep short accounts with God and man, keeping our pathways clear and without stumbling blocks!

Help in Conflict by Gail Rodgers
“And my God will meet all your needs according to His glorious riches in Christ Jesus.” (Philippians 4:19)
No one likes to be thought of as needy. We prefer other adjectives for ourselves, words that reflect strength or wisdom. Think about your own needs for a moment. It’s easier to think of someone else and how to help them but can you identify where you have been needy lately?
There is a tool we can use to help us see our own need. It is the tool of paying attention to any conflict in our lives. Conflict often reflects unmet needs. Think about it for a moment.
Take a moment to recall the last encounter you had with conflict. Most of us don’t have to dig very far into our memories. Sometimes the unmet need is basic and easy to remedy such as the need for sleep. Yet often it is much deeper. The need to feel valued and heard or the need to be accepted or respected can cause conflict from a wounded heart.
Control and manipulation often finds their root in an unmet need. Trying to manage the outcome of all that is going on around you is exhausting and causes conflict at many levels.
Think about where conflict exists in your life and ask God to help you identify any unmet need, yours or someone else’s that may exist at the root of it. Begin to pray about those needs.
When you see potential conflict on your horizon… stop… and use the opportunity as a tool to build into your own life or to pray into another’s. Look honestly at yourself and GROW through conflict.
G- Give God the opportunity to reveal to your heart any unmet need that may be at the root of this conflict. Be open to seeing your own need and to praying for the needs of another. It will help dissolve hostility too.
R- Recognize that God is the only One who can meet all of your needs.
O- Open your heart to God’s help, asking Him to be the Source you need for that unmet need in your life. Consider asking another Christian to pray for you in this.
W- Walk beside another in prayer as you pray for their unmet needs asking God to be their source in meeting the needs of their soul.
God promises to be the Source for all of your needs.
“And my God will meet all your needs according to His glorious riches in Christ Jesus.” (Philippians 4:19)
Father God, Please help me to identify the unmet needs that exist in the conflicts I find myself in. Help me to turn to You to meet the deep needs of my heart. Help me to pray for the needs in the lives of those I have conflict with. Be the source of all I need today. In Jesus’ strong name I pray, Amen.
Question: How does that “conflict often reflects unmet needs” change the way you see the challenges in your relationships?

SERVING BUT STARVING by Ron Hutchcraft
One day I was talking with the owner of a local pizza restaurant; a place where I am known all too well. I was there at the tail end of their rush hour, and let me tell you, this place is a zoo for about 90 minutes around noon. It was slowing down and the owner finally was able to stop to talk with me. When he asked me how I was doing, I said, "Well, I'm doing a lot better now. I had lunch!" The owner said, "I know what you mean. If I wait very late to eat lunch, I start to get shaky." I told him, "Well, I guess you're in a good place then." Actually, he corrected me. He said, "Sometimes we are so busy serving it that we don't have time to eat it ourselves!"
A lot of us have experienced what my restaurant owner friend was talking about - being so busy serving that we don't have any time to get fed ourselves - spiritually, that is. Hey, it happened to Martha, didn't it? It's happened to me way too often, and probably to you, too.
Martha's experience is described in Luke 10:38, our word for today from the Word of God. "Jesus came to a village where a woman named Martha opened her home to Him. She had a sister called Mary who sat at the Lord's feet, listening to what He said. But Martha was distracted by all the preparations that had to be made. 'Martha, Martha,' the Lord answered, 'you are worried and upset about many things, but one thing is needed. Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her.'"
Now, Martha's busy serving Jesus. Mary is sitting at Jesus' feet, listening to Him. Which is better? Most of us make-it-happen, get- it-done types would instinctively gravitate to the doing stuff rather than the being stuff. But Jesus says, "Mary has chosen what is better." I think we've all been Martha-ed...maybe you are right now. You get so busy serving Jesus that you have no time to be with Jesus. It's like my pizza friend. We're so busy serving spiritual food to others that we're actually eating less of it ourselves.
Now that's backwards! The more people are looking to you, the more you have to be with the Lord yourself. But, frankly, it's easy to let your spiritual health become a victim of ministry. In fact, serving God's Word without experiencing God yourself is a prescription for burnout!
There's a danger in studying God's truth only to prepare lessons, Bible studies, sermons and missing the purpose of studying it, which is to have your life changed through applying it to your everyday life. There's a danger of becoming someone who leads others to experience the Lord while you're slowly becoming a spectator yourself. And you can so fill your life with Christian meetings, Christian positions, and Christian activity that it feels like knowing the Lord. BUT, in fact, those activities have slowly crowded out that precious private time with Jesus. And that time is the fuel for any valid ministry!
So you may be serving others while starving yourself. Soon that's going to lead to a Martha Meltdown. Ministry is supposed to be the overflow of your own time with the Lord, not a righteous substitute for it. So if you feel yourself growing weak and tired, frustrated, and negative while you're serving your Lord, don't blame the work and don't blame the customers. You probably have not taken time to feed yourself spiritually - to really be with Jesus. You don't want to lose your closeness to Jesus in the middle of serving Jesus.

Night Shift Author Unknown
Bless the Lord, all you servants of the Lord, who stand by night in the house of the Lord. Lift up your hands in the sanctuary, and bless the Lord. May the Lord that made heaven and earth bless you out of Zion. (Psalm 134)
Years ago when I was attending seminary, I worked the night shift on occasion. It paid a little more money than the day shift, but it was a bit lonely. If you've ever had to work the night shift, you will appreciate Psalm 134.
God never slumbers or sleeps. Therefore, we can serve and praise Him any time of day. The psalmist says there were priests who prayed and praised God in His temple at night. There was a constant repetition of praise and prayer from the temple.
We can bless the Lord in the night seasons. It's not easy when we are going through the nighttime experiences of life to lift our hands and bless the Lord. But He does give us songs in the night.
Paul and Silas were able to lift their hearts in praise to God while in the Philippian jail (Acts 16). They were on the night shift. They knew that God was awake, so they praised Him, and He sent deliverance. We can get some strange blessings in the night seasons, for God speaks to us in different ways. Others may not see your praise at night, but God sees and hears.
Whether you are in the sunshine or in the darkness, whether you are serving on the day shift or the night shift, remember that you are serving the Lord. Because He never slumbers or sleeps, He hears your prayer and praise at all times, and He will bless you.

Small Straws In A Soft Wind by Marsha Burns
Seeking Me with a whole heart must be your number one priority if you are to come into the fullness of what I have prepared for you in this season. Don't be afraid to come; the path has already been forged and the way has been made for you to find Me, says the Lord. Pull out all stops and let nothing hinder your spiritual growth. Hebrews 4:16 Let us therefore come boldly to the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy and find grace to help in time of need.

You must rise above the circumstances that have created a place of despair in your heart. I have gone before you to establish your freedom from all darkness. But, you must access this liberty through faith. Take the time to re-focus and turn your concentration from obsession with difficulty to the victory that comes through obedience to My word, says the Lord. With Me all things are possible. Luke 18:27 But He said, "The things which are impossible with men are possible with God."

Regardless of your circumstances or the attacks that have caused you to feel insecure or unstable, I am still the Rock of your spiritual foundation, says the Lord. Come to Me in times of crisis and uncertainty, and I will establish you again in truth and wisdom. 1 Peter 5:10 But may the God of all grace, who called us to His eternal glory by Christ Jesus, after you have suffered a while, perfect, establish, strengthen, and settle you.

Pay attention to the flow of My Spirit, for I am taking you on a journey that will change your spiritual life. I am causing a separation between religious tradition and truth that comes from walking and living in the Spirit. Bondage comes from religious exercise, but liberty comes only in the Spirit. You will be transformed if you will be sensitive to this work and yield to what I am doing in, around, and through you, says the Lord. 2 Corinthians 3:17 Now the Lord is the Spirit; and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

Beloved, rise above fear and dread by way of reminding yourself that I will bring you through your current complex dilemma and perplexity. I will give you wisdom and direction and bring people into your life who can help you through this difficulty. But, you must stand in the firm belief that I am with you and for you. Refuse to give into despair and discouragement. Establish your heart in absolute faith, says the Lord, with no doubting. James 1:5-8 If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all liberally and without reproach, and it will be given to him. But let him ask in faith, with no doubting, for he who doubts is like a wave of the sea driven and tossed by the wind. For let not that man suppose that he will receive anything from the Lord; he is a double-minded man, unstable in all his ways.

The Trumpet by Bill Burns
"Set the trumpet to your mouth!" Hosea 8:1
Come now, My children, and rise up on your most holy faith. I say this because the world itself is spiraling into the chaos of humanity. And, this will forever get worse as you go to the end of all things. But, you are those who have been justified by your faith. It is a time when you must learn to live absolutely by faith. The word of faith that I have written is the strength and power of this day and you will do well to embrace it and put it to use, says the Lord.

As I Am by Nancy Burr
Your mercy is the greatest wonder,
There will ever be.
There's nothing I could ever do,
To make You not love me.
I know I don't deserve Your love,
And yet You died for me.
I'm so unworthy, filled with sin,
But still You set me free.
You always take me as I am,
Filled with guilt and shame.
You take my scars and sinful heart,
Your love it stays the same.
You take me as I am dear Lord,
You know just who I am.
You are my friend, true to the end.
You take me as I am.
You sent Your Spirit down to earth,
To live in each of us.
So when we call we know You're there,
You're faithful Lord to us.
You offer us eternal life,
For we are saved by grace.
So when our life on earth is through,
We'll meet You face to face.
You always take us as we are,
Filled with guilt and shame.
You take our scars and sinful hearts,
Your love it stays the same.
You take us as we are dear Lord,
You know just who we are.
You are our friend, true to the end,
You take us as we are.

Whole Again by Nancy Burr
I tried to walk the road alone,
My life was filled with despair.
Hope seemed O so far away,
It felt like no one cared.
Jesus waited patiently,
Never giving up on me.
Then one day I felt His touch,
And now I'm soaring free.
Now I've found You Lord,
And I'm never going to let you go.
You've promised me forever,
Your joy and peace I want to know.
You hear my voice each morning,
I cast all my cares on You.
As long as we're together,
There's nothing I cannot do.
Each day is a new adventure,
Your word it guides my day.
My heart is bursting with Your love,
That's when I start to pray.
I thank you for Your guiding hand,
For sending Your Spirit to me.
For making me feel whole again,
And for dying to set me free.
Your work in me has just begun,
I have so much to learn.
You teach me to wait patiently,
To hope, pray and stand firm.
My faithfulness is sometimes weak,
But Your word is very clear.
That if we ask we will receive,
And that You'll always be near.
If you're ever in need of hope,
My Lord He loves you too.
He wants to take your pain away,
With joy He will fill you.
God is only a prayer away,
He's waiting just for you.
If you ask you will receive,
His promises stand true.
My life is so much better,
He hears my many prayers.
For I am weak and He is strong,
My burdens He wants to bare.
When you talk to the Savior,
Please remember me.
Say a prayer that I'll be faithful,
Always counting on Thee.

For the Lord will be your confidence, And will keep your foot from being caught. Proverbs 3:26

1 Therefore, laying aside all malice, all deceit, hypocrisy, envy, and all evil speaking, 2 as newborn babes, desire the pure milk of the word, that you may grow thereby, 3 if indeed you have tasted that the Lord is gracious. 1 Peter 2:1-3

27 “Behold, I am the Lord, the God of all flesh. Is there anything too hard for Me? Jeremiah 32:27

4 You are of God, little children, and have overcome them, because He who is in you is greater than he who is in the world. 1 John 4:4

Submit to God, Resist the Devil
5 Likewise you younger people, submit yourselves to your elders. Yes, all of you be submissive to one another, and be clothed with humility, for “God resists the proud, But gives grace to the humble.” 6 Therefore humble yourselves under the mighty hand of God, that He may exalt you in due time, 7 casting all your care upon Him, for He cares for you. 8 Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil walks about like a roaring lion, seeking whom he may devour. 9 Resist him, steadfast in the faith, knowing that the same sufferings are experienced by your brotherhood in the world. 10 But may the God of all grace, who called us to His eternal glory by Christ Jesus, after you have suffered a while, perfect, establish, strengthen, and settle you. 11 To Him be the glory and the dominion forever and ever. Amen. 1 Peter 5:5-11

30 But of Him you are in Christ Jesus, who became for us wisdom from God—and righteousness and sanctification and redemption— 31 that, as it is written, “He who glories, let him glory in the Lord.” 1 Corinthians 1:30-31

57 But thanks be to God, who gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ. 58 Therefore, my beloved brethren, be steadfast, immovable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, knowing that your labor is not in vain in the Lord. 1 Corinthians 15:57-28

Love's Determination
The Bible tells us in James 1:8 that a "double-minded man is unstable in all he does." This is, quite obviously, the exact opposite of being single-minded, which is to have one aim or purpose. So, how does a person move from being "double-minded," or scattered in their mind, to being purposeful and singular in their life choices?
In Colossians 3:2, we read that we are to "set our minds on things above, not on earthly things." This is the key – having a proper "mind set." Another word for this is found just earlier in the same passage – we need to "set our hearts on things above." You see, your mind-set is really determined by your heart.
>From deep within your "heart of hearts" comes the determination that will drive your life's choices. And, we must, as Christ-followers, be driven to set our minds, set our hearts, on things above, not on earthly things. And, this is, at its basic level, what loving like Jesus is all about – determining to set your heart on eternal things, rather than temporal. First Impressions

Dear Lord, help us to trust you more than we fear situations that may surround us. Help us to get out of our ruts. Amen.

Read Through The Bible
2 Kings 13
Jehoahaz Reigns in Israel
1 In the twenty-third year of Joash the son of Ahaziah, king of Judah, Jehoahaz the son of Jehu became king over Israel in Samaria, and reigned seventeen years. 2 And he did evil in the sight of the Lord, and followed the sins of Jeroboam the son of Nebat, who had made Israel sin. He did not depart from them. 3 Then the anger of the Lord was aroused against Israel, and He delivered them into the hand of Hazael king of Syria, and into the hand of Ben-Hadad the son of Hazael, all their days. 4 So Jehoahaz pleaded with the Lord, and the Lord listened to him; for He saw the oppression of Israel, because the king of Syria oppressed them. 5 Then the Lord gave Israel a deliverer, so that they escaped from under the hand of the Syrians; and the children of Israel dwelt in their tents as before. 6 Nevertheless they did not depart from the sins of the house of Jeroboam, who had made Israel sin, but walked in them; and the wooden image also remained in Samaria. 7 For He left of the army of Jehoahaz only fifty horsemen, ten chariots, and ten thousand foot soldiers; for the king of Syria had destroyed them and made them like the dust at threshing. 8 Now the rest of the acts of Jehoahaz, all that he did, and his might, are they not written in the book of the chronicles of the kings of Israel? 9 So Jehoahaz rested with his fathers, and they buried him in Samaria. Then Joash his son reigned in his place.
Jehoash Reigns in Israel
10 In the thirty-seventh year of Joash king of Judah, Jehoash the son of Jehoahaz became king over Israel in Samaria, and reigned sixteen years. 11 And he did evil in the sight of the Lord. He did not depart from all the sins of Jeroboam the son of Nebat, who made Israel sin, but walked in them. 12 Now the rest of the acts of Joash, all that he did, and his might with which he fought against Amaziah king of Judah, are they not written in the book of the chronicles of the kings of Israel? 13 So Joash rested with his fathers. Then Jeroboam sat on his throne. And Joash was buried in Samaria with the kings of Israel.
Death of Elisha
14 Elisha had become sick with the illness of which he would die. Then Joash the king of Israel came down to him, and wept over his face, and said, “O my father, my father, the chariots of Israel and their horsemen!” 15 And Elisha said to him, “Take a bow and some arrows.” So he took himself a bow and some arrows. 16 Then he said to the king of Israel, “Put your hand on the bow.” So he put his hand on it, and Elisha put his hands on the king’s hands. 17 And he said, “Open the east window”; and he opened it. Then Elisha said, “Shoot”; and he shot. And he said, “The arrow of the Lord’s deliverance and the arrow of deliverance from Syria; for you must strike the Syrians at Aphek till you have destroyed them.” 18 Then he said, “Take the arrows”; so he took them. And he said to the king of Israel, “Strike the ground”; so he struck three times, and stopped. 19 And the man of God was angry with him, and said, “You should have struck five or six times; then you would have struck Syria till you had destroyed it! But now you will strike Syria only three times.” 20 Then Elisha died, and they buried him. And the raiding bands from Moab invaded the land in the spring of the year. 21 So it was, as they were burying a man, that suddenly they spied a band of raiders; and they put the man in the tomb of Elisha; and when the man was let down and touched the bones of Elisha, he revived and stood on his feet.
Israel Recaptures Cities from Syria
22 And Hazael king of Syria oppressed Israel all the days of Jehoahaz. 23 But the Lord was gracious to them, had compassion on them, and regarded them, because of His covenant with Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, and would not yet destroy them or cast them from His presence. 24 Now Hazael king of Syria died. Then Ben-Hadad his son reigned in his place. 25 And Jehoash the son of Jehoahaz recaptured from the hand of Ben-Hadad, the son of Hazael, the cities which he had taken out of the hand of Jehoahaz his father by war. Three times Joash defeated him and recaptured the cities of Israel.

O God, give us thankful hearts so that we may acknowledge and share your goodness. Help us, dear God, to bring your kingdom on earth for the people we encounter by showing them the love that you have for us all. We pray as Jesus taught us, saying, “Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name. Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done, as in heaven, so in earth. Give us day by day our daily bread. And forgive us our sins; for we also forgive every one that is indebted to us. And lead us not into temptation; but deliver us from evil.” Amen. Luke 11:2-4 (KJV).

Wherever you are in life, whatever you've done, you can begin again. If you do not have Jesus in your life and wish to ask Jesus into your life please go to this link now to do so: http://www.bluidkiti.com/forums/showthread.php?t=130 .
Jesus is calling you to live a life that matters.
We stay sober and clean together - one day at a time!
God says that each of us is worth loving.
bluidkiti is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Post New ThreadReply