Links

Join

Forums

Find Help

Recovery Readings

Spiritual Meditations

Chat

Contact

Go Back   Bluidkiti's Alcohol and Drug Addictions Recovery Help/Support Forums > Daily Recovery Readings, Spiritual Meditations and Prayers > Daily Spiritual Meditations > Weekly Spiritual Meditations

Share This Forum!  

Post New ThreadReply

Old 07-09-2015, 10:29 AM   #1
bluidkiti
Administrator

Icon24 Weekly Spiritual Meditations - July 10

Keep this great fact in view: God never changes. He is the same yesterday, today and forever. We must never allow ourselves to lose sight of this permanent orienting fact: God is. Richard C Halverson

Saturate yourself in God's Word and keep your focus on Christ.

Whether it's protecting you, providing for you, or working out your troubles, God can be trusted to care for His own.

God promises peace in the midst of our troubles. Even though our circumstances may not change, our response to them can change. When we give our problems to God, peace washes over us like gentle ocean waves.

When we have distanced ourselves from the source of life, Christ offers the cup of new life to us. Even when our lives are broken by sin, none of us is beyond redemption in the hands of the Master. Christ can take our worst selves and make them productive again. A commitment to Him can change our priorities and our attitudes.

Because we are a children of God, we can trust God’s love and help as we face the future.

Every day provides unique opportunities to minister to those around us. Through our words and actions we can affirm our love of God and our commitment to serve God as good stewards in the world entrusted to us.

DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO? by Alan Smith
A young and foolish pilot wanted to sound cool and show who was boss on the aviation frequencies. It was his first time approaching a field during the night time. Instead of making any official requests to the tower, he said: "Guess who?"
The controller switched the field lights off and replied: "Guess where!"
It important for a pilot to be able to see the place where he is landing! There is a true story about a pilot who was flying a fighter jet in bad weather and was about to make his instrument approach to an airport. The air traffic controller called and asked how much fuel he had. -- “Plenty,” he said.
“Well,” the controller said, "We’ve got a little problem. There’s a young pilot who is not instrument rated. He’s lost in the clouds, and we were wondering if you could intercept him and lead him back to the airport."
“Sure,” the pilot responded. He found the lost plane and pulled up beside it. He called on the radio and told the pilot to look out to his left. When the pilot of this small plane saw the powerful jet, he burst into tears of relief. As far as he was concerned, his life was about over. He would soon run out of fuel and crash.
“Don’t worry,” the test pilot said. “Everything’s going to be OK. I’m going to pull in front of you several hundred yards. Do everything I do. When I turn, I’ll turn gently. All you have to do is do exactly what I do.”
So, carefully, the leader and the follower turned toward the airport and slowly descended. When they finally broke through the clouds at 500 feet, the frightened pilot saw the most beautiful sight. There in front of him was the runway, and he was perfectly set up to land. What a blessing that the young pilot had someone nearby that he could look to!
There's a story in the Bible where an ancient king of Judah must have felt that same sense of relief. Jehoshaphat's kingdom was being threatened by the armies of Ammon, Moab, "and others" (2 Chronicles 20:1). In fact, those armies were so large and so strong, Judah didn't stand a chance of surviving an assault. There seemed to be nothing Jehoshaphat could do about it, so he turned to God (which, incidentally, is not such a bad place for us to find ourselves!). Eventually, God rescued the people of Judah by causing the armies of the enemy to turn on one another. But it is the prayer of Jehoshaphat that I think is so valuable. In fact, I think this may become my favorite verse in the Bible:..
"For we have no power against this great multitude that is coming against us; nor do we know what to do, but our eyes are on You." (2 Chronicles 20:12)
Is there a problem you're facing in your life that just seems overwhelming? Pray along with Jehoshaphat -- "God, I don't know what to do, but my eyes are on you!" Do you have a difficult decision to make and you don't know which course to take? "God, I don't know what to do, but my eyes are on you!" Are you suffering the attacks of enemies, those who would seek to do you harm? "God, I don't know what to do, but my eyes are on you!" Pray it today and pray it often.

Y'all Come By Cathy Messecar
They broke bread in their homes and ate together with glad and sincere hearts, praising God and enjoying the favor of all the people. And the Lord added to their number daily those who were being saved. Acts 2:46-47
"Y'all come." Cline Paden said those were the sweetest words a young boy could hear. Those words meant the Paden family had an invitation to dinner after Sunday morning worship.
During the Great Depression, food was often scarce so an invitation to dine at a neighbor's house signaled a plentiful week. A growing boy knew the host's table would most likely be laden with mouthwatering fried chicken and homegrown vegetables. Boys with cavernous stomachs could eat their fill.
Sadly, "Y'all come" is spoken less and less in my busy life. Most ancestors' food production was labor intensive from seed and stall to table. My great grandmothers grew their own vegetables, milked cows, churned butter, baked bread, made jam, wrung chicken necks and fried their own chickens.
These chores were part of rearing large families. Yet, women still made time to invite neighbors to "sit a spell." They also set aside time to prepare a pot roast and have the visiting preacher over to eat Sunday dinner. Today, far too many neighbors are strangers to me. Sometimes the color of a neighbor's car and house is all that's known about those who live near me.
Desiring to be more hospitable, I planned a luncheon for a few people I wanted to get to know better. I invited the moms and children to meet me for an early blueberry picking at a nearby farm. Afterwards, we'd eat a light lunch at my home. Luncheon day arrived, and the phone began to ring with cancellations. A sick child. A Saturn slipped a transmission. Hard candy broke a tooth. Need to go to dentist. Pet cat broke a toenail.
As I walked out the door at 9:00 a.m. to go pick blueberries, my daughter phoned from her workplace to see how preparations were going. I explained my dilemma of too much food and no diners, and she suggested bringing the secretaries in her office for lunch. The "working girls" were delighted by the impromptu invitation to eat homemade chicken salad and munch on fresh blueberry muffins.
Strangers began eating at my table that day, but when the final iced tea was sipped, new friendships had begun. One girl eventually began a Bible study with us and later became a Christian.
Romans 12:13 encourages me to "practice hospitality." The words hospice, hospital, and host embody the idea of treating strangers as guests. Hospitality isn't limited to meals, but the simplest form of entertaining usually does include a meal.
Although modern food conveniences and microwaves have decreased my kitchen workload, I still find issuing meal invitations a challenge. I've yet to serve popcorn as a main course, but I've discovered meal ingredients need not be fancy. In a pinch, I've served takeout food to my kitchen diners, and even when the house was a bit mussed, guests truly didn't seem to mind folding the laundry while I diced potatoes for the soup.
My goal is to host more strangers, to practice hospitality, to phone more neighbors and say, "Y'all come."
Father, thank you for preserving in scripture the intimate dining scenes of Jesus and his disciples that express exact images of your care. In the name of the seashore Jesus, who kept food warm over burning coals and waited for his friends. Amen.

Holding Your Hand Author Unknown
I read about the experience of a man who underwent open-heart surgery. He said, "The day before surgery a nurse came into my room to visit. She took hold of my hand and told me to feel it and hold it."
"Now," she said, "during the surgery tomorrow you will be disconnected from your heart and you will be kept alive only by virtue of certain machines. When your heart is finally restored and the operation is over and you are recovering, you will eventually awaken in a special recovery room.
You will be immobile for as long as six hours. You may be unable to move, or speak, or even to open your eyes, but you will be perfectly conscious. You will hear and you will know everything that is going on around you.
During those six hours, I will be at your side and I will hold your hand, exactly as I am doing now. I will stay with you until you are fully recovered. Although you may feel absolutely helpless, when you feel my hand, you will know that I will not leave you."
"It happened exactly as the nurse told me. I awoke and could do nothing. But I could feel the nurse's hand in my hand for hours. And that made all the difference!"
Jesus' favorite word for His promised presence in the Holy Spirit is "Paraclete - the One called alongside." Engrave the words of Jesus on your mind until they are such a part of you that even during the hardest times of your life, regardless of how you feel, you will know that He is with you - holding your hand - and "He will never leave you or forsake you". (Hebrews 13:5)

Waltz In by Sally I. Kennedy
So let us come boldly to the throne of our gracious God. There we will receive his mercy, and we will find grace to help us when we need it most. Hebrews 4:16
I was praying, simple conversation with God, and found myself asking for something. Again.
I thought, "I am constantly making requests! Wouldn't you think the Lord would get sick of that? I just waltz in, any time of the day or night I feel like it, and pray. I thank Him and praise Him; often do ask for something and assume He is listening."
Our Father God made us for fellowship with Him. And yes, He is thrilled and delighted for us to come to Him, with requests, conversation, thanks, or just come to enjoy His presence - anytime.
Among the thousands of promises in the Bible are those which declare God hears us, and answers. A few are: Jeremiah 33:3 - Call to me and I will answer you.
Psalm 17:6 - I call to you, God, and you answer me. Listen to me now, and hear what I say.
Psalm 6:9 - The Lord has heard my cry for help; the Lord will answer my prayer.
Psalm 91:15 - They will call to me, and I will answer them.
There's never a time the Lord won't stop and give us His full attention. In fact, He is just waiting for us to 'waltz in'. That's good news.

Surrender it to God by First Impressions
Have you ever noticed how much energy it takes to keep a tight grip on something? Come on, you know what you’re holding on to, don’t you? You’re in turmoil because you can’t control the people or circumstances in your life. So – try this - release your grip! Go ahead – let it go! Surrender it to God. You’ll be amazed at how much more energy you’ll have, and how much easier life will be. Once you make the choice to surrender it to God, your hardest days become your easiest.
A.W. Tozer wrote: “Father, my cowardly heart fears to give up its toys. I cannot part with them without inward bleeding, and I do not try to hide from You my terror of the parting. I come trembling, but I do come. Please root from my heart those things which I have cherished so long and which have become a very part of my living self, so that You may enter and dwell there without a rival.”
You might say, “Surrender what?”
Your position! Place it all before your God. Find your security, your identity and your contentment in Him.
Your plans! Plan wisely, but be ready for God to rearrange things and take you along paths that may be uncomfortable for you. Nothing this side of Heaven is permanent, including relationships. Enjoy the time you have with your loved ones, but avoid the temptation to cling.
Your anxiety! If your emotions are wrapped around some issue involving a possession, a job, a particular expectation or a relationship, you aren’t fully relying on God. No, you’re still clinging to lesser things. Stop. Let it go! You’re delaying the surprise God has waiting for you.

REMEMBER THE DUCK Author Unknown
There was a little boy visiting his grandparents on their farm. He was given a slingshot to play with, out in the woods. He practiced in the woods, but he could never hit the target. Getting a little discouraged, he headed back to dinner.
As he was walking back, he saw Grandma's pet duck. Just out of impulse, he let fly, hit the duck square in the head, and killed it. He was shocked and grieved. In a panic, he hid the dead duck in the wood pile, only to see his sister watching. Sally had seen it all, but she said nothing.
After lunch that day grandma said, "Sally, let's wash the dishes."
But Sally said, "Grandma, Johnny told me he wanted to help in the kitchen today, didn't you Johnny?" And then she whispered to him, "Remember, the duck?" So Johnny did the dishes.
Later Grandpa asked if the children wanted to go fishing, and Grandma said, "I'm sorry but I need Sally to help make supper." But Sally smiled and said, "Well, that's all right because Johnny told me he wanted to help." And she whispered again, "Remember, the duck?" So Sally went fishing and Johnny stayed.
After several days of Johnny doing both his chores and Sally's, he finally couldn't stand it any longer. He came to Grandma and confessed that he killed the duck. She knelt down, gave him a hug, and said, "Sweetheart, I know. You see, I was standing at the window and I saw the whole thing. But because I love you, I forgave you. But I was just wondering how long would you let Sally make a slave of you."
I don't know what's in your past. I don't know what one sin the enemy keeps throwing up in your face. But whatever it is, I want you to know something. Jesus Christ was standing at the window and He saw the whole thing. But because He loves you, He is ready to forgive you. Perhaps He's wondering how long you'll let the enemy make a slave out of you. The great thing about God is that He not only forgives, but He forgets.

DANCING WITH GOD Author Unknown
When I meditated on the word Guidance, I kept seeing "dance" at the end of the word. I remember reading that doing God's will is a lot like dancing.
When two people try to lead, nothing feels right. The movement doesn't flow with the music, and everything is quite uncomfortable and jerky. When one person realizes that, and lets the other lead, both bodies begin to flow with the music. One gives gentle cues, perhaps with a nudge to the back or by pressing Lightly in one direction or another. It's as if two become one body, moving beautifully.
The dance takes surrender, willingness, and attentiveness from one person and gentle guidance and skill from the other.
My eyes drew back to the word Guidance.
When I saw "G: I thought of God, followed by "u" and "i".
"God, "u" and "i" dance."
God, you, and I dance.
As I lowered my head, I became willing to trust that I would get guidance about my life.
Once again, I became willing to let God lead.
My prayer for you today is that God's blessings and mercies be upon you on this day and everyday. May you abide in God as God abides in you.
Dance together with God, trusting God to lead and to guide you through each season of your life.
This prayer is powerful and there is nothing attached.
If God has done anything for you in your life, please share this message with someone else, for prayer is one of the best gifts we can receive. There is no cost but a lots of rewards; so let's continue to pray for one another. And I Hope You Dance!

Taking Spiritual Inventory
Let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which so easily ensnares us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us . . . Hebrews 12:1-2
We need to avoid anything in life that will hinder our spiritual growth. To help you mature spiritually, here is a litmus test that will assist you in identifying what might weigh you down in your spiritual walk.
The first question to ask yourself is: "Does what I'm doing benefit me spiritually? The Apostle Paul once said, "All things are permissible, but not everything is beneficial" (1 Corinthians 10:23). Even though certain things are permissible, they still weigh us down by tearing us away from God and His people, or by dulling our hunger for God's Word.
The second question you want to pose is, "Does this thing bring me under its power?" Paul provided us with this principle, when he said, "All things are lawful for me, but I will not be brought under the power of any" (1 Corinthians 6:12). Perhaps you are under the power of something. It's not that it is a bad thing in and of itself, but it might be that you have had so much of it that it is beginning to control your life. We want to avoid those things. We want to be under the power of Christ, and Christ alone.
The final question of our litmus test pertains to the grey areas in life. When those times come our way, we must ask, "Do I have an uneasy conscience about what I am doing?" To put it scripturally, when these situations arise, remember the words of Paul, "Whatsoever is not of faith is sin" (Romans 14:23).
You see, we constantly take inventory of our lives and avoid whatever aspects of life that can hurt our spiritual walk. Be wise and take inventory of your walk with God. --Thomas W Henderson

Small Straws In A Soft Wind by Marsha Burns
This is a time when you can take whatever steps are necessary to leave the past behind in ways that are deliberate and decisive. You must do this before you can step into the next phase of progression. Be done with things that are no longer useful and not relevant to who you are and where you are going. Hold the things of the earth with an open hand, says the Lord. Colossians 3:2 Set your mind on things above, not on things on the earth.

Don't give up when things become difficult. Push through; press through; get through. You can do this, and you are the only one who can do this. Know that I will guide you and give you direction when you feel you have lost your way or your momentum. Changes are taking place, but there is no need to fear. You are moving to higher ground spiritually, and I am with you, says the Lord. Psalms 32:8 I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go; I will guide you with My eye.

When things get really hectic, you need to take a breath and let go of the stress of the situation. Remember that I give wisdom when needed. I will also give you the strength to accomplish all that is before you. Clear your mind of all anxiety and stay calm, says the Lord. Trust Me. Proverbs 17:27 He who has knowledge spares his words, and a man of understanding is of a calm spirit.

I speak to the feeling that you have of not knowing where you are and that you are not sure of your next step. That is because changes are taking place that affect your life and your sense of stability. Things will never be the same again, and you must let go of all that keeps you from being free to move on. But, you must also realize that your spiritual equilibrium only comes from your life in Me, says the Lord. Stay connected. Isaiah 33:6 Wisdom and knowledge will be the stability of your times, and the strength of salvation; the fear of the LORD is His treasure.

Keep pushing through difficult circumstances. Breakthrough is assured if you refuse to give up. This is much like the birthing process; the reward is worth the fight. You will press into a new beginning when old things are in the past and put away. Isaiah 42:9 Behold, the former things have come to pass, and new things I declare; before they spring forth I tell you of them.

There are issues that need to be resolved, and you do not know how to bring them to resolution. But, I say to you that if you will release your offense and trust Me to take care of this, I will. I will lead you in the way of righteousness and bring peace not only to your own heart but to your situation, says the Lord. All you need to do is let go and put your faith in Me. Mark 11:22 So Jesus answered and said to them, "Have faith in God."

I am doing a new thing in and around My people, says the Lord. This new thing will require change on many levels. But, I will prepare you by directing you and giving you wisdom in accepting and cooperating with the changes that are necessary in reaching new spiritual heights. Do not be afraid of the unknown. Nothing is hidden from My sight, and all that you need to know will be revealed to you. 1 Corinthians 4:5 Therefore judge nothing before the time, until the Lord comes, who will both bring to light the hidden things of darkness and reveal the counsels of the hearts. Then each one’s praise will come from God.

The Trumpet by Bill Burns
"Set the trumpet to your mouth!" Hosea 8:1
I say look up, for time is short. The house of God is being perfected in these days, and I am calling you in this season to a higher elevation, which will lead to higher and greater revelation and greater power with demonstration of that which I give you in these very days. Be prepared to move up. Be prepared to be more than you are today. Be prepared to walk in the fullness of the power that I have spoken over you, says the Lord.

LIFE by Peggy Yengling
Working hard, filling our days,
Meeting deadlines, getting caught in a maze.
Caring for family, spending quality time,
All of this before the midnight chime.
Making goals, seeing them through,
Knowing others are watching to see how you do.
Someone is waiting - it's a rush, so just hurry
No time to saunter, just get ready and scurry!
Another day comes, a repeat of the last.
The hours fill up, then the day is past.
How can we stop this roller coaster ride?
We're missing the real life - the much brighter side.
Seeking our purpose, we search 'til we drop,
Too weary to pursue it, but not ready to stop.
Which purpose is the one meant just for us?
It is all so complex - such a bother and fuss!
Ah, now I understand, I am beginning to see.
Life is our bridge to eternity!
In order to get there, our focus must change.
It may be difficult and seem a little strange.
The first step is the most important of all -
To set aside OUR goals and listen for God's call.
Relinquishing our needs, we begin to understand.
We need to seek guidance about what God has planned.
God, our own creator, knows what is best for us.
He'll provide what we need if we let go and trust.
When we lean upon Him, He will guide our way.
Life will have real meaning as we embrace each day!

BE JESUS TO THE WORLD by Sandy Moffett 4/13/05
Inspired by Pastor Joey Rodgers
Make your life an act of worship
Surrender to the Lord.
Forgive and be forgiven
Be Jesus to the world.
Be about His business
Reach the hopeless and the hurting.
Be His hands unto the lost
The hearts that need His healing.
Are you ready to get busy
To put your talents to His use?
Make the cause of Christ your focus
He is calling. You must choose.
There's been too much division
There's been too much pride.
It's time we come together
And put selfishness aside.
Make your life an act of worship
Surrender to the Lord.
Forgive and be forgiven
Be Jesus to the world.

For the mountains may be removed and the hills may shake, but My loving kindness will not be removed from you, and My covenant of peace will not be shaken,' Says the LORD who has compassion on you. - Isaiah 54:10

Do not fear, for I am with you; do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God. I will strengthen you, surely I will help you, surely I will uphold you with My righteous right hand. - Isaiah 41:10

13 You, my brothers, were called to be free. But do not use your freedom to indulge the sinful nature; rather, serve one another in love. Galatians 5:13

He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds. - Psalms 147:3

17 Now the Lord is the Spirit, and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom. 2 Corinthians 3:17

GOD is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble. - Psalms 46:1

12 In him and through faith in him we may approach God with freedom and confidence. Ephesians 3:12

The eternal God is your refuge, And underneath are the everlasting arms; He will thrust out the enemy from before you, And will say, ‘Destroy!’ Deuteronomy 33:27

THE WINNING STREAK Roy Irwing
It was a long time coming, but it finally happened! It probably wasn't big news where you live but it made the headlines of the papers here. It was even mentioned on television during the evening news!
What did you miss? What was this milestone event??? My old high school football team finally won a game! For the first time in 35 games, a span covering 4 years, the longest losing streak in NC high school football finally came to an end!
As I read the details the next day in the newspaper, what caught my attention wasn't the final score or the action photo from the game, it was something that the coach had told his players when the contest was over. He told his team, "...we need to be a lot more interested in starting a winning streak than ending a losing streak." What was important to the coach was that his players not worry about the past, but rather focus on today and the future.
I couldn't help but think about how true this is in our lives as well...
Someone once concluded that 92% of the things that people worry about fall into one of three categories: things that have already happened, things that haven't yet and may not happen, and things that we have no control over. Perhaps you can relate to that...
But Jesus gave us a different example. With Jesus, what was important was today with a focus on the future! As Jesus was dying on the cross, there on either side of him, were criminals who were also being crucified. One of these men acknowledged Jesus as the Son of God, and asked Jesus to remember him when he came into his kingdom. Jesus answered him, "I tell you the truth, TODAY you will be with me in paradise." Luke 23:43 (NIV - emphasis mine)
In that defining moment, what was most important wasn't the man's past - it was his future! And so it is for each of us! By the shed blood of Jesus Christ, our past - our sins - have been forgiven! It no longer exists! The Bible describes it this way in 2 Corinthians 5:17 "Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away. Behold, all things are become new!"
How about you? Ending a losing streak or starting a winning streak? Are you living in the past or looking toward the future? Are you ready to start a winning streak in your life by living for the Lord? It can happen today!

Thank you, God, for helping us with the challenges of life. With each prayer, may we exhale our worries and inhale your peace. Amen.

Read Through The Bible
Job 12
1 And Job answered and said, 2 No doubt but ye are the people, and wisdom shall die with you. 3 But I have understanding as well as you; I am not inferior to you: yea, who knoweth not such things as these? 4 I am as one mocked of his neighbour, who calleth upon God, and he answereth him: the just upright man is laughed to scorn. 5 He that is ready to slip with his feet is as a lamp despised in the thought of him that is at ease. 6 The tabernacles of robbers prosper, and they that provoke God are secure; into whose hand God bringeth abundantly. 7 But ask now the beasts, and they shall teach thee; and the fowls of the air, and they shall tell thee: 8 Or speak to the earth, and it shall teach thee: and the fishes of the sea shall declare unto thee. 9 Who knoweth not in all these that the hand of the Lord hath wrought this? 10 In whose hand is the soul of every living thing, and the breath of all mankind. 11 Doth not the ear try words? and the mouth taste his meat? 12 With the ancient is wisdom; and in length of days understanding. 13 With him is wisdom and strength, he hath counsel and understanding. 14 Behold, he breaketh down, and it cannot be built again: he shutteth up a man, and there can be no opening. 15 Behold, he withholdeth the waters, and they dry up: also he sendeth them out, and they overturn the earth. 16 With him is strength and wisdom: the deceived and the deceiver are his. 17 He leadeth counsellors away spoiled, and maketh the judges fools. 18 He looseth the bond of kings, and girdeth their loins with a girdle. 19 He leadeth princes away spoiled, and overthroweth the mighty. 20 He removeth away the speech of the trusty, and taketh away the understanding of the aged. 21 He poureth contempt upon princes, and weakeneth the strength of the mighty. 22 He discovereth deep things out of darkness, and bringeth out to light the shadow of death. 23 He increaseth the nations, and destroyeth them: he enlargeth the nations, and straiteneth them again. 24 He taketh away the heart of the chief of the people of the earth, and causeth them to wander in a wilderness where there is no way. 25 They grope in the dark without light, and he maketh them to stagger like a drunken man.

Life can be busy, and we get caught up with our jobs, activities, projects and anything else life throws at us. Give yourself a minute, take a deep breath and think about all that you have been blessed with in your busy life. Thank you, God, for everything in my life.

Wherever you are in life, whatever you've done, you can begin again. If you do not have Jesus in your life and wish to ask Jesus into your life please go to this link now to do so: http://www.bluidkiti.com/forums/showthread.php?t=130 .
Jesus is calling you to live a life that matters.
We stay sober and clean together - one day at a time!
God says that each of us is worth loving.
bluidkiti is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Post New ThreadReply