Links

Join

Forums

Find Help

Recovery Readings

Spiritual Meditations

Chat

Contact

Go Back   Bluidkiti's Alcohol and Drug Addictions Recovery Help/Support Forums > Daily Recovery Readings, Spiritual Meditations and Prayers > Daily Spiritual Meditations > Weekly Spiritual Meditations

Share This Forum!  

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-14-2015, 03:04 PM   #1
bluidkiti
Administrator

Icon24 Weekly Spiritual Meditations - May 15

"Look back. Do you see God's hand working in your life? Remember the times when you dared to trust Him and you were not disappointed. Remember the times you thought you could not survive . . . but you did. Remember the times you thought you knew better . . . but now you see that His way would have been the right way. Can you see even those times when God was working on your behalf before you ever came to Him?" - Rocky Henriques

For those dark times, here’s a word of hope: God meets us where we are. Even if we aren’t looking in His direction, He is always looking in ours. --Liz Curtis Higgs

"A car is made to run on gasoline, and it would not run properly on anything else. Now God designed the human machine to run on Himself. He Himself is the fuel our spirits were designed to burn, or the food our spirits were designed to feed on. There is no other." - C. S. Lewis

Do not have your concert first and tune your instruments afterwards. Begin the day with God. --Hudson Taylor

Just as at sea those who are carried away from the direction of the harbor bring themselves back on course by a clear sign, so Scripture may guide those adrift on the sea of life back into the harbor of the divine will. -- Gregory of Nyss

God doesn't make us rich so we can indulge ourselves and spoil our children, or so we can insulate ourselves form needing God's provision. God gives us abundant material blessing so that we can give it away, and give it generously. Randy Alcorn

God is not who you think He is. He is who He says He is. --Clarice Fluitt

Pep Talk by Cassandra Wessel
When I was in high school, our teachers held a pep rally before every big American-style football game. Cheerleaders in short skirts and bulky sweaters led us in cheers designed to increase the courage of the team, especially if the opposing team had never lost a game. Then on the day of the game in the locker room, the coach gave the guys a pep talk to increase their bravery as they faced the other team. Out in the huddle at the fifty-yard line, the players gathered around the quarterback, who called the plays but also urged his teammates to play their best game.
Likewise, when challenges face us, a pep talk is always in order. Those who know me might be surprised to discover that I often need a courage boost as I face a congregation or an audience, or write something for publication. Often, this pep talk comes from the words of Scripture, such as those I read this morning:
Joshua 1:9 – Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go. (NIV 2011)
The first chapter of the book of Joshua contains Joshua's pep talk to the people of Israel at their camp on the edge of the Promised Land. In this speech, Joshua exhorted the people four times to "be strong and courageous". He told them that they could forge ahead as they obeyed God and trusted the Lord to lead the way. With many other words of encouragement, he told the people that they could do this because the Lord would go with them to fight for them if only they would obey and rely on God.
These are words for us today, too. When we face the trials that life throws our way, we can draw strength from God's Word that He will be with us. Our part is to trust and obey Him. When we pray for His presence, He will infuse us with strength and courage to face our future.
Prayer: God, grant us strength and courage to follow where You lead us for Jesus' sake. Amen.

The Global Positioning System by Rosemary Hagedorn
The Global Positioning System (GPS) is a technical marvel made possible by a group of satellites in earth's orbit that transmit precise signals, allowing GPS receivers to calculate and display accurate location, speed, and time information to the user.
By capturing the signals from three or more satellites (among a constellation of 31 satellites available), GPS receivers are able to triangulate data and pinpoint any given location.
With the addition of computing power and data stored in memory such as road maps, points of interest, topographic information, and much more, GPS receivers are able to convert location, speed, and time information into a useful display format.
I have such a computer in my car. When I drive to a new destination, I usually input the address of the place that I am driving to, and the GPS takes me there. The woman's voice coming from the GPS tells me to turn right or left, or sometimes, she tells me that she is recalculating because of my action. The other day, my husband and I were driving to an appointment regarding his hearing. This was a new destination, and I typed the address into the GPS. After the appointment, we decided that we would visit our daughter and let the GPS guide us to her home. We could have taken the usual route, but we wanted to know where the GPS would take us.
To our surprise, this little computer took us through areas that we would never have ventured through. We drove through beautiful landscapes, passed small lakes, and omitted the usual highway driving. The drive was breathtaking and peaceful.
This out-of-the-normal routine made me think of the gift of the Holy Spirit, Who, if we listen and obey, will also take us to places that we never would have thought that we would go to. It could be like travelling overseas to share the gospel with people who have never heard about Jesus and the forgiveness that He offers. It could be volunteering in a hospital or a nursing home, or caring for an elderly parent or husband.
Today, as we go about our usual routines, let us listen to what the Holy Spirit is telling us and directing us to do. Are you and I willing to travel to a new destination, trusting that this is where God wants us to be?
Proverbs 3:5-6 – Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to him, and he will make your paths straight. (NIV 2011)
Prayer: Lord God, help us to listen to the Holy Spirit's guidance and to trust that You will take us wherever You want us to go. Thank You for this wonderful gift. Amen.

Where's The Beef by MountainWings
Recently while making my semi-weekly purchases at my local area Wal-Mart store, in the chaos and confusion of checking out, I missed (and the cashier missed) a box of burgers on the bottom of my cart.
In traveling to my car with my two overly rambunctious and hyper children, I noticed the burgers on the bottom of the cart as I loaded my packages wearily into the family van.
Ugh, I looked at my receipt. He didn't get the box of 32 frozen 100% beef burgers that were ten dollars.
My great summer standby for a quick meal. I was tired and I didn't want to have to go back into the store. I could have driven off unnoticed with a windfall of free tasty burgers that mistakenly were missed by myself, the cashier, and the Wal-Mart elderly person taking a break sitting at the exit, telling me to have a nice evening.
Darn it, I couldn't do it. So yelling to my ten-year-old and my eight-year-old who were now rough housing in the back seats to stay put, I walked back into Wal-Mart to the cashier who had serviced my order and said, "I don't think you got these when I checked out." The cool dude mannerism of the clerk laughed at me and said, "Man you came all the way back here for this, I would have just taken off."
I explained that I really didn't want to rot in hell over a few 100% tasty beef burgers and would he kindly ring me up so I could get back to my children in the car. The elderly Wal-Mart senior was still at the front door and thanked me for coming back in. She looked as tired as I was.
As I drove home, I realized that it's not likely that the mega giant retailer Wal-Mart would have even noticed the lost inventory of those 32 100% beef burgers. However, on that day the transaction reflected on at least a few people a positive light that could make a difference in perhaps the way they think out future transactions for themselves or for others.
The young cashier behind the counter who said he would have never come back into the store and would have just kept on going, the senior who looked at me with a restored confidence that maybe America wasn't going to hell this week, and the five men in line waiting patiently as the cashier quickly rang up my box of burgers, all of them probably muttering something about women drivers not even getting it right at Wal-Mart with their carts.
That day, God asked me where the beef was.
A small challenge that seemed a little bigger at the end of a hectic, tiring day. I showed Him and returned His trial, knowing it wasn't just about an act of honesty.
It was about a commitment to restore faith in the human element, knowing that if we all raise the bar just a little higher for ourselves and others with actions that are of good deeds, we'll all live in a much better place.
That old commercial adage where the little old lady is saying, "Where's the beef?" I paused and thought, well, for most of us, it's right here, still in our hearts and souls, and it's what makes this country a really great place to live. Despite all of the reminded evil in this world, we still have opportunities to make life really good again and again.
Those thirty-two, 100% beef burgers will taste a little better this summer.

Forgiveness by June Heale
Do you find it hard to be forgiving? Sometimes, it is very difficult for us to let go of the many hurts that have come our way. Some may be trivial, but others are heartbreaking. I understand, as I have experienced both.
When we carry around unforgiveness against someone who has repeatedly hurt us, it is like a heavy backpack which weighs us down. I know that I have been guilty of this. If only we could realize that this burden-carrying is so unnecessary.
Colossians 3:12-13 – God loves you and has chosen you as his own special people. So be gentle, humble, meek, and patient. Put up with each other, and forgive anyone who does you wrong, just as Christ has forgiven you. (CEV)
We may be thinking about some injury that there is no way that we can forgive. It was so terrible that it is not possible to forgive. However, to be forgiving is an act of obedience to God. Yes, forgiving even the most tragic thing in our life is possible when we live in obedience to God. When we forgive others, it allows God to work in our life. He has forgiven our sins, so we must be a forgiving people.
Matthew 6:14-15 – For if you forgive other people when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. But if you do not forgive others their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins. (NIV 2011)
In fact, the burden of our not forgiving actually hurts us so much. While we carry an unforgiving attitude in our hearts, that backpack gets heavier and heavier, and in effect, the person who has hurt us continues to do so. Let's let it go, forgive those hurts, and hand it all over to God.
Prayer: Dear heavenly Father, thank You for the awesome love and forgiveness for our many sins which Your Son Jesus paid for on the cross for us. Help us to look beyond our hurts and forgive others their sins against us, just as You have forgiven us. Amen.

The right way to battle envy by Senior Living Ministries
Anger is cruel and fury overwhelming, but who can stand before jealousy? - Proverbs 27:4
The famous preacher F.B. Meyer was known for gathering very large crowds to hear him preach in the area around Northfield, Massachusetts, in the early 1900s. He became very prominent in his day, and was a household name among many Christians in the northeastern United States.
But it wasn’t long before another great preacher, G. Campbell Morgan, crossed the Atlantic from Britain and began doing ministry in the same area. People then flocked to hear Morgan’s brilliant preaching, thinning out Meyer’s crowds.
Meyer confessed at first he was envious. Then he said, “The only way I can conquer my feelings is to pray for Morgan daily, which I do.”
William Penn once said, “The jealous are troublesome to others, but a torment to themselves.” Nothing can ruin a relationship or a person like feelings of envy. F.B. Meyer realized that, and performed the best remedy possible: prayer.
So when you have feelings of jealousy, give it to God. Pray words of blessing over the person who’s causing you jealousy. Pray that your own heart would be transformed. Let God be King over your envy and you’ll be able to live with a clear conscience.
Prayer Challenge: Pray and give God any feelings of envy you’re having today. Ask Him to reveal where you are jealous of others and ask Him to bless them.
Questions for Thought: Are there issues of envy that are you dealing with today? How might giving your envy over to God allow you to be a better instrument for His Kingdom?

Draw Near to God In Suffering by Dr. Charles Stanley
Call to Me and I will answer you and show you great and mighty things which you do not know. — Jeremiah 33:3
At some point, we all wrestle with why God allows us to suffer and we wonder if it’s because He no longer loves us. But the truth is, some of the greatest lessons we ever learn come as the result of hardship. During those painful times, if we’ll cling to the Father, we’ll gain tremendous insight into His heart and mind.
Friend, when you experience trials, realize that God doesn’t want to hurt you (Lamentations 3:32-33). Rather, He has great things He wants to teach you — lessons that, unfortunately, can only be learned through sorrow (Hebrews 5:8). So when trouble strikes, be still and ask the Lord to show you what you can learn through the situation.
Your Savior is here — right now, right beside you.
Your loving heavenly Father is beckoning to you, asking you to draw near and learn His ways. So call on Him. He will answer you. And He will teach you great and mighty things that you need to know.
Father, what would You have me learn through my heartache? Teach me, my Lord — I am listening. Amen.
In His presence… call to Him and expect Him to answer.

WHO WE NEED TO BE by Joseph J. Mazzella
My Dad gave me a few of my Grandma’s old photo albums the other day. When I looked through them it was like taking a step back in time. It was so incredible to see my brothers, my Mom, my Dad, and my Grandma all looking so young. And on some pages I even saw a smiling six year old boy with my face staring up at me in sweet innocence. I wondered what that boy would think if he could see what would happen to him during the next 40 years. He would have his home burn down in the middle of the night and lose everything he owned before he was 12. As a young man he would watch his Mom fight a losing battle with cancer and die far before her time. He would see his Grandma slowly lose her health and her memories to dementia before passing away as well. He would graduate college but still struggle financially for many years because he refused to move away from the family and community he loved. He would have two sons who everyday must live with the challenges of Autism. He would deal daily with physical pain from an injured back. And he would suffer emotional pain too from all he had lost and all he had gone through. Yet, in spite of it all he would look back on the life he had lived so far and thank God for it, because it had helped him become who he needed to be.
Just as God writes straight with crooked lines, He also takes the many twists and turns in our lives and uses them to help us to become the people we were meant to be. Without all of that pain, struggle, and loss I would never have become who I am now. I would never have been able to love as deeply, to help others as much, or to appreciate life as fully as I do today.
When I look at that boy in the pictures I wouldn’t trade a second of his life. Even when his heart was broken again and again he never walled it up from the world. Instead he allowed his love to flow freely through the cracks. Every time he stumbled and fell along the way he took God’s hand, rose up, and tried again. And no matter how difficult the path he traveled got, he still walked it with a loving heart and a joyous spirit.
No matter what you have gone through in this life, no matter how many troubles you have faced and agonies you have suffered know that God can use them all for good. God can ease your heartaches with wisdom. God can heal your pain with love. God can temper your trials with joy. God can help you to help others as well. God can guide you to become the person you needed to be in this life and in the life to come.

Small Straws In A Soft Wind by Marsha Burns
Take advantage of every opportunity to press through the darkness of current situations until you find the light of truth and goodness. The more time you spend in the light and in My presence, says the Lord, the more you will take on My character and the nature of light. Escape the grasp of every evil. Make a decision to do so now. 1 John 1:7 But if we walk in the light as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus Christ His Son cleanses us from all sin.

Break out of the herd instinct and of moving with the flood of dissipation. Refuse to depend on others for your spiritual well-being, and begin to seek Me in earnest, says the Lord. If you look for Me, you will find Me, but you have to put forth the effort. Do not put this off, for life and your walk in the Spirit depends on it. 1 John 2:27 But the anointing which you have received from Him abides in you, and you do not need that anyone teach you; but as the same anointing teaches you concerning all things, and is true, and is not a lie, and just as it has taught you, you will abide in Him.

Things have not worked out as you envisioned or expected, but you must get past discouragement and disappointment. There is still divine purpose for your life, which does not depend on what you view as failure. Your future will depend on your relationship with Me, says the Lord, and your willingness to be led by My Spirit. Your responsibility is to yield and trust Me. Deuteronomy 1:21 Look, the LORD your God has set the land before you; go up and possess it, as the LORD God of your fathers has spoken to you; do not fear or be discouraged.

You must finish what you started before you can progress. You have to be free from that which is holding you back before you receive further revelation of My kingdom and embrace greater life in the Spirit. The earth is but a stage with props that help you manifest My purposes. Your life should reflect both temporary earthly existence and eternal spiritual life, says the Lord. 2 Corinthians 4:18 while we do not look at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen. For the things which are seen are temporary, but the things which are not seen are eternal.

Refuse to allow your environment and circumstances to throw you off balance. You must maintain a correct relationship between things that require your attention regarding earthly needs and responsibilities and your attention to life in the Spirit and spiritual stability. If you will put Me first, says the Lord, everything you need will be provided, along with the wisdom to deal with difficult situations. Matthew 6:33 "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you.

I know your desire to prosper in all things, and I hear your heart-felt prayers. Yet, it is important to maintain the proper balance of what you retain and what you give. It is truly more blessed to give than to receive. Let Me establish in you a heart of generosity and direct you in the way of giving, says the Lord. Luke 6:38 "Give, and it will be given to you: good measure, pressed down, shaken together, and running over will be put into your bosom. For with the same measure that you use, it will be measured back to you."

You have become ambivalent--uncertain of what you should do or how you should feel. The only way out of this dilemma is to ask for wisdom and rely on My Spirit. I remain the same, says the Lord. My Word is true, and My guidance is sure. You can count on Me to lead you in a way that is right for you and those around you. Hebrews 13:8 Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever.

The Trumpet by Bill Burns
"Set the trumpet to your mouth!" Hosea 8:1
You have heard it said that I am the Truth. And it is so. The life that you live from this moment on will be bound in the truth of My word if you receive it and make it yours by choice. And, that choice, My beloved, will propel you into the Spirit where you will see and understand the revelation of that which I desire to show you even more clearly than you are seeing it today. I come to you so that you may not only know Me but you will know My voice, you will receive My input and My instruction and the revelation of even the days. For, I know all things and I hold you in My power, says the Lord.

Through It All By Deborah Ann Belka
Through the mountain
God led me
through the hardships
He supplied me
Through the darkness
God directed me
through the uncertainties
He never left me!
Through the high waters
God took me
through the sorrow
He comforted me
Through the storms
God protected me
through the heartache
He cared for me!
Through the desert
God guided me
through the loneliness
He loved me
Through the valley
God shepherd me
through the suffering
He fortified me!
Through the wilderness
God escorted me
through all of my doubts
He waited for me!

HE CRADLED ME IN KINDNESS by Sheila Gosney
There are times when I think of all the heartache & pain
I've endured while living this life.
There were mountains to climb...valleys to crawl through
and dark clouds of sorrow and strife.
But my heart quickly causes me to give thanks
that only God knows what will happen to me.
For I couldn't have borne the knowledge of the future
beyond what my eyes came to see.
And I'm so grateful God allows me to know Him personally
through the mercy and grace of the cross.
For no matter the struggle, I knew my salvation
was secure, because He paid the cost.
My eyes fill with tears as I look at the years
and all the things He's allowed me to go through.
And I cry because I see the beauty of His presence
always with me through all I would do.
By faith, He truly taught me to live a day at a time
and by faith, I held the might of His hand.
While He poured out wisdom, and His promises were solid
for every moment I would not understand.
He cradled me in kindness...He spoke as my Father
and I saw the richness of knowing His grace.
He holds the future and He holds my hand
so I'll trust Him while running this race.

But the wisdom that comes from heaven is first of all pure. It is also peace loving, gentle at all times, and willing to yield to others. It is full of mercy and good deeds. It shows no partiality and is always sincere. And those who are peacemakers will plant seeds of peace and reap a harvest of goodness. James 3:17-18

Jesus said, "Blessed are you when people insult you, persecute you and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of me. Rejoice and be glad, because great is your reward in heaven, for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you." Matthew 5:11-12

Follow God's example in everything you do, because you are his dear children. Live a life filled with love for others, following the example of Christ, who loved you and gave himself as a sacrifice to take away your sins. And God was pleased, because that sacrifice was like sweet perfume to him. Ephesians 5:1-2

O my son, give me your heart. May your eyes delight in my ways of wisdom. Proverbs 23:26

Pleasant words are like a honeycomb, sweet to the soul, and health to the bones! Proverbs 16:24

A cheerful heart is good medicine, but a broken spirit saps a person's strength. Proverbs 17:22

"Every word of God is pure; He is a shield to them that put their trust in Him." Proverbs 30:5

Feeling Stuck? by Katherine Walden
Some days, don't you just want to scoop up all the hurting people around you and hug them close and kiss away all their boo-boos? Don't you wish you could somehow wrap your friends and family in bubble-wrap so they don't hurt themselves? It is excruciatingly painful to step back and allow loved ones the freedom to make harmful and foolish decisions. Don't you wish they would pay attention to your warnings?
God understands. His loved ones have been making thoughtless, selfish decisions since the Garden of Eden. He has never stopped pointing the way to a better path and yet His beloved creation refuses to follow the road signs.
Jeremiah 6:16 - Thus says the Lord, "Stand by the roads, and look, and ask for the ancient paths, where the good way is; and walk in it, and find rest for your souls." But they said, "We will not walk in it."
How does God do it? How does He watch us walk right into the very traps He warned us to stay clear of? His heart must ache as He watches us shake our fists in anger when we face the consequences of our foolish decisions.
Jeremiah 31:3 - "I have loved you with an everlasting love; therefore I have continued my faithfulness to you."
When we find ourselves stuck in the muck and mire of our own making and call out to Him, He pulls us out. He cleans us up, bandages our wounds and points us to a better way. He never gives up on us. He never walks away, regardless of how many times we willfully choose to ignore His wisdom. He never disowns us. He never stops loving us. He never stops inviting us to dialogue with Him.
Isaiah 1:18 - "Come now, let us reason together," says the Lord, "Though your sins are like scarlet, they shall be as white as snow."

This Moment Author Unknown
I may never see tomorrow; there’s no written guarantee,
And the things that happened yesterday belong to history,
I cannot predict the future, I cannot change the past,
I have just the present moment, I must treat it as my last,
I must use this moment wisely for it soon will pass away,
And be lost to me forever as part of yesterday,
I must exercise compassion, help the fallen to their feet,
Be a friend unto the friendless, make an empty life complete,
The unkind things I do today may never be undone,
And friendships that I fail to win may nevermore be won,
I may not have another chance on bended knee to pray,
And thank God with humble heart for giving me this day.

Read Through The Bible
Job 4
Eliphaz: Job Has Sinned
1 Then Eliphaz the Temanite answered and said: 2 “If one attempts a word with you, will you become weary? But who can withhold himself from speaking? 3 Surely you have instructed many, And you have strengthened weak hands. 4 Your words have upheld him who was stumbling, And you have strengthened the feeble knees; 5 But now it comes upon you, and you are weary; It touches you, and you are troubled. 6
Is not your reverence your confidence? And the integrity of your ways your hope? 7 “Remember now, who ever perished being innocent? Or where were the upright ever cut off? 8 Even as I have seen, Those who plow iniquity And sow trouble reap the same. 9 By the blast of God they perish, And by the breath of His anger they are consumed. 10 The roaring of the lion, The voice of the fierce lion, And the teeth of the young lions are broken. 11 The old lion perishes for lack of prey, And the cubs of the lioness are scattered. 12 “Now a word was secretly brought to me, And my ear received a whisper of it. 13 In disquieting thoughts from the visions of the night, When deep sleep falls on men, 14 Fear came upon me, and trembling, Which made all my bones shake. 15 Then a spirit passed before my face; The hair on my body stood up. 16 It stood still, But I could not discern its appearance. A form was before my eyes; There was silence; Then I heard a voice saying: 17 ‘Can a mortal be more righteous than God? Can a man be more pure than his Maker? 18 If He puts no trust in His servants, If He charges His angels with error, 19 How much more those who dwell in houses of clay, Whose foundation is in the dust, Who are crushed before a moth? 20 They are broken in pieces from morning till evening; They perish forever, with no one regarding. 21 Does not their own excellence go away? They die, even without wisdom.’

Pauls Prayer for Spiritual Empowering
When I think of the wisdom and scope of God's plan, I fall to my knees and pray to the Father, the Creator of everything in heaven and on earth. I pray that from his glorious, unlimited resources he will give you mighty inner strength through his Holy Spirit. And I pray that Christ will be more and more at home in your hearts as you trust in him. May your roots go down deep into the soil of God's marvelous love. And may you have the power to understand, as all God's people should, how wide, how long, how high, and how deep his love really is. May you experience the love of Christ, though it is so great you will never fully understand it. Then you will be filled with the fullness of life and power that comes from God. Now glory be to God! By his mighty power at work within us, he is able to accomplish infinitely more than we would ever dare to ask or hope. May he be given glory in the church and in Christ Jesus forever and ever through endless ages. Amen. Ephesians 3:14-21

Wherever you are in life, whatever you've done, you can begin again. If you do not have Jesus in your life and wish to ask Jesus into your life please go to this link now to do so: http://www.bluidkiti.com/forums/showthread.php?t=130 .
Jesus is calling you to live a life that matters.
We stay sober and clean together - one day at a time!
God says that each of us is worth loving.
bluidkiti is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Post New ThreadReply