Links

Join

Forums

Find Help

Recovery Readings

Spiritual Meditations

Chat

Contact

Go Back   Bluidkiti's Alcohol and Drug Addictions Recovery Help/Support Forums > Alcohol, Drugs and Other Addictions Recovery > 12 Steps and 12 Traditions
Register FAQ Community Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search Chat Room

Share This Forum!  

12 Steps and 12 Traditions Information and Discussions related to the 12 Steps and The 12 Traditions

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-04-2013, 02:36 PM   #19
bluidkiti
Administrator

SESSION 12 STEP 4 How It Works REVIEW
Grudge List – One Group Member’s Pocket Treatment

I read Step 4, pp. 64-71 in Alcoholics Anonymous to examine three of my blocks to my higher power: resentment, fear, and the harms done in my relationships / sex conduct. With practice, this inventory method takes me but a moment. I begin and end writing times with meditation / prayer. I list my assets too. My reasonable best is good enough.

1.) 1ST Working of Grudge List (64: 3-65: 2): We set them on paper. (64: 3)
A. First Column: WHO? “Who hurt or threatened me?” (64: 3)
  • I list the names of people, places, and things that cause me to be angry, irritable, unreasonable, and discontented. I put them all down. At this time I do not say what they did, or why they bother me. I just make the list of who did it.
  • First Column lesson: My head is full of resentments. There is no room for conscious contact with my higher power.
Grudge List (See example on page 65 of Big Book.)
First Column: Who?
Who hurt or threatened me?
Mr. Brown
B. Second Column: HOW? “How have they hurt or threatened me?” (65: 0)
  • After I am done with the list of names of people, places, and things that make me irritable, unreasonable, and discontent, I am ready to fill in the Second Column. For each First Column name, I state simply how they hurt me, what happened, what they (or I) did that makes me feel the way I do.
  • Second Column lesson: It is less who the person is and more how his/her behavior made me angry. May I begin forgiveness of myself and others here?
Grudge List
First Column: Who?
Who hurt or threatened me?
Second Column: How? How did they hurt me?
Mr. Brown
May get my job.
C. Third Column: WHAT? “What part of my Self was hurt or threatened, and that I reacted to?” (64: 3, 65: 1)
  • Now for each event in the Second Column, I write down in the Third Column what parts of my Self were hurt or threatened by the person, place, or thing. I consider the ‘three S’s of Self’: Security (material and emotional), Self-esteem (fear for very existence), Sex (and relationship, companionship) instincts. Also the ‘actor’s roles’ I play. How do my own negative feelings and reactions, my own worn out defenses, affect me?
  • Third Column lesson: What leads me to a drink is not who or how they hurt me, but the way I REACT to what part of myself that was threatened. My own reactions and my own thought-habits lead me to drink.
Grudge List
First Column: Who? Who Hurt or Threatened Me?
Second Column: How? How have they hurt me?
Third Column: What? What part of my Self was affected and that I reacted to?
Mr. Brown
May get my job.
Self-esteem (fear)
Security

2.) 2ND Working of Grudge List (65: 3-66: 2): WHY? “Why must I change?” Resentment is a waste of time. My anger leads to indignation and self-pity. I will drink again if I think this way. If I drink I will die spiritually, mentally, and physically.

3.) 3RD Working of Grudge List (66: 3-67: 1): WHEN? “When I am ready, what do I do?” They, like ourselves, were sick too. We asked God to help us. We avoid retaliation. (67: 0,1) Meditation / prayer. *

4.) 4TH Working of Grudge List (67: 2): WHERE? “Where am I responsible?” Disregard the other person involved entirely. (67: 2)
  • Now that I have completed the three column chart, I ask myself: What have I done to cause myself to feel this way? When have I done this before?
  • What did I do in my conduct in relationship to this person, place, or thing to cause me to feel irritable, unreasonable, and discontent? Do I have unreasonable expectations? Have I been acting out of fear? What am I afraid of? Do my own reactions lead me to be hurt and to hurt others? How old is my behavior?
    • Other Columns Lessons: What is my part?
      • Where was I selfish (self-absorbed)?
      • Where was I dishonest (believing my own lies, or not genuine)?
      • Where was I self-seeking (wanting to control or be controlled by someone else)? (67: 2)
      • Where was I frightened (where did reliance solely upon myself fail me)? (68: 1)
      • Where was I at fault (out of bounds, or missing the mark)?
      • What could I have done instead? (69: 1,3)
  • Answers to these questions will help me find my character defects, shortcomings, and the exact nature of our wrongs that I will address in Step 5 (59: 2). [We learned that if we were seriously disturbed, our first need was to quiet that disturbance, regardless of who or what we thought caused it. 12&12, 47: 2]
  • [OR: I may write about how these old worn out defenses blocked me from growing up and growing spiritually – false pride, perfectionism, being phony, selfishness, impatience, self-pity, resentments, intolerance, alibis, dishonest thinking, putting things off, guilt and shame, fear, taking things for granted, etc.]

STEP 4 TURNAROUNDSWILLING to change * MEDITATION / PRAYER:
  • Anger: The one that hurt or threatened me is also a sick person. I deeply wish for them (and me) the same serenity and peace of mind that I would have for myself. God, of my understanding, save me from being hurt, threatened, insulted, or angry. How may I help them? (67: 0; 552: 1) (I say this for myself too)
  • Fear: I pray that my fear be removed and my attention directed to being who you would have me be today. May thy will, not mine, be done. (68: 3)
  • Relationship: We earnestly pray for the right ideal, for guidance in each questionable situation, for sanity, and for the strength to do the right thing.(70: 2)
  • Willing to change: Today I may meditate, go to a meeting, talk with my sponsor to be more open to my higher power and less restless, irritable and discontent. Today I do not have to be hurt or to hurt myself, and I do not have to drink.
http://www.stepsbybigbook.net/

pp. 65-66
We stay sober and clean together - one day at a time!
God says that each of us is worth loving.
bluidkiti is offline   Reply With Quote
Post New ThreadReply