Links

Join

Forums

Find Help

Recovery Readings

Spiritual Meditations

Chat

Contact

Go Back   Bluidkiti's Alcohol and Drug Addictions Recovery Help/Support Forums > Daily Recovery Readings, Spiritual Meditations and Prayers > Daily Spiritual Meditations > Weekly Spiritual Meditations

Share This Forum!  

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-03-2014, 02:13 PM   #1
bluidkiti
Administrator

Icon24 Weekly Spiritual Meditations - 12/5

Aren’t you glad that God doesn’t give you only what you remember to thank him for? --Max Lucado

Joy is that deep settled confidence that God is in control of every area of my life. --Paul Sailhamer

If you feel weak, limited, ordinary, you are the best material through which God can work. Henry Blackaby

We need to learn from Samuel, whose response when the Lord called him was, "Speak, for your servant is listening" (I Samuel 3:10). He did not see this as an opportunity to pour out his concerns to the Lord saying, "Listen, Lord, for your servant speaks." When we adopt the latter stance, we in effect make ourselves God. We presume to know what is right and what is best. In so doing, we take upon ourselves a great responsibility: to guide our own lives. But it is God who knows what is best in the long run. He is the almighty and loving Lord. He has created us, not we him, and we exist for his glory, not he for ours. Millard Erickson

If the Lord be with us, we have no cause of fear. His eye is upon us, His arm over us, His ear open to our prayer - His grace sufficient, His promises unchangeable. John Newton

Thank you Lord that this has a purpose. You're going to teach me something of your greatness in this that I would never have known otherwise. Sandy Edmonson

The first duty of every soul is to find not its freedom but its Master. Peter T. Forsythe

What’s Important A Norvell Thought
When you know what it is really important life becomes easier. When you are clear of your purpose in life many decisions become easier. When you know what you are on the earth to do the possibility of accomplishing your mission becomes easier. Knowing your purpose, understanding why you are here, and accomplishing our mission is the desire of the human heart.
Generally speaking this discovery is mind boggling, but maybe it does not need to be.
Jesus told us this, “Now this is eternal life: that they know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom you have sent.” (John 17:3, NIV)
Paul told us this, “For those God foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brothers and sisters.” (Romans 8:29, NIV)
Paul also told us this, “But whatever were gains to me I now consider loss for the sake of Christ. What is more, I consider everything a loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whose sake I have lost all things. I consider them garbage, that I may gain Christ and be found in him, not having a righteousness of my own that comes from the law, but that which is through faith in Christ—the righteousness that comes from God on the basis of faith. I want to know Christ—yes, to know the power of his resurrection and participation in his sufferings, becoming like him in his death, and so, somehow, attaining to the resurrection from the dead.” (Philippians 3:7-11, NIV)
Knowing Jesus is the key. Knowing Jesus is the answer. Knowing Jesus is our purpose. Knowing Jesus is why we are here.
Jesus said it is eternal life. Paul said being conformed to the likeness of Jesus is why we are here. Paul said knowing Jesus is worth sacrificing everything else.
So the question becomes, how do we know Him? We know Him by reading about Him. From learning who He was and who He is and who He will always be. We know Him by understanding how He thinks, how He feels, and how He cares about people. We know Him when we see Him in the lives of other people. We know Him when we experience His presence within our own hearts as we grow in our knowledge of Him and conform into His likeness.
We can know our purpose. Our purpose is to know Jesus. It is worth everything.

The Building by Sally I. Kennedy
Unless the Lord builds the house, the builders labor in vain. Unless the Lord watches over the city, the guards stand watch in vain. Psalm 127:1
What great plans! We were so excited to have come up with what we thought was going to be a really great plan.
When the first hitch happened, I thought, “Oh well, it’s just a little problem. We can get past that/” Not long after, another fly in the ointment, but we were not to be daunted. After all, we’d devised a super plan for the program.
As you have no doubt surmised, it was not long before another glitch, and then another. I felt as if we were treading water, or even worse, swimming upstream against the current.
At some point, one of us realized we had not consulted God prior to trying to implement this wonderful plan. We had asked Him to bless the project, and to bless us as we undertook it. However we had not asked Him in on the foundation and start of the venture.
The Bible says that if the Lord doesn’t ‘build the house, the laborers build in vain.’ That whole thing was a lesson to us, and hopefully one learned so as to not make the same mistake.
How awesome that God is willing and ready to help us, whenever we come back or turn around and seek Him. That’s good news.

Chosen by God Author Unknown
Marie Curling shares the following lesson. "Whenever I'm disappointed with my lot in life, I stop and think about little Jamie Scott. Jamie was trying out for a part in his school play. His mother told me that he'd set his heart on being in it, though she feared he would not be chosen.
On the day the parts were awarded, I went with her to collect him after school. Jamie rushed up to her, eyes shining with pride and excitement. 'Guess what, Mom,' he shouted, and then said those words that remain a lesson to me: 'I've been chosen to clap and cheer.'"
Whatever God has called you to do today - even if it's just to "clap and cheer" - do it with all your heart, to the glory of God.
"Whatever you are called to do, do it with all your heart." Colossians 3:23

Faith Defined by Kathy Branzell
"In this you greatly rejoice, even though now for a little while, if necessary, you have been distressed by various trials, so that the proof of your faith, being more precious than gold which is perishable, even though tested by fire, may be found to result in praise and glory and honor at the revelation of Jesus Christ." (1 Peter 1:6-7 NASB)
How do we express our faith? We express our love for Christ through worship, missions, tithing, learning more about Him through Bible study and church attendance, but how do you express faith? Our greatest expressions of our faith come when we face uncertainty.
If asked, “Do you have faith?” I am sure you would respond “definitely!” How would your friends, coworkers and neighbors respond if asked how they had seen you express your faith? Uncertainty allows us the opportunity to live out our faith. Daily, sometimes even moment-by-moment trusting God fully and openly. Marriage troubles, unsolvable or long-term illnesses, problems with our children, caring for our aging parents, financial difficulties, and unforeseeable circumstances that bring us to our knees knowing there is not a thing that we can do to fix our circumstances. Not knowing what will happen or what we will face next, we look towards heaven and say, “Lord, I know you have this under control, so I rest in your love and wisdom.”
It has become my opinion that our struggles are our opportunities to glorify God most. Our heavenly director calling out “ACTION!” Sure, people see you each day, some even watch who you’re with, how you drive or spend your time or money, but when hardships come you have the opportunity to show friends and family, neighbors and strangers, coworkers and your community what a mighty God we love and trust. It is faith defined – walking the talk.
When uncertainty tries to take over my thoughts, I go back to what I know and what I want to show. God is my Creator and the author of my days. He is wisdom, and He has a perfect plan for my life to lead me to His glory. He loves me more than I can understand. That is all I need to know. I do not need to know what will happen tomorrow or how things will turn out. I do not need to know what, when, why or how – I just need to know God. My prayer for you today is that you would know God – know that He loves you more than you can understand and know that He has things all under control – just trust Him.

Psalm 23 - A Child's Perspective
Yesterday's "Daily Encourager" focused on Psalm 23, defining each verse of the Psalm. Today's "Daily Encourager" is Psalm 23 from a child's viewpoint or a child's perspective.
In his beautiful book, "I Shall Not Want," Robert Ketchum tells of a Sunday School teacher who asked her group of children if anyone could quote the entire 23rd Psalm. A golden-haired, four-and-a-half-year-old girl was among those who raised their hands. A bit skeptical, the teacher asked if she could really quote the entire psalm.
The little girl came to the front of the room, faced the class, made a perky little bow, and said, "The Lord is my shepherd, that's all I want."
She bowed again and went and sat down.
That may well be the greatest interpretation of the 23rd Psalm ever heard, "The Lord is my shepherd, that's all I want."
Psalm 23. "The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want. He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters. He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake. Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me. Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over. Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever."

Lord, Prop Us Up on Our Leaning Side Author Unknown
Every time I am asked to pray, I think of the old fellow who always prayed, "Lord, prop us up on our leaning side." After hearing him pray that prayer many times, someone asked him why he prayed that prayer so fervently.
He answered, "Well sir, you see, it’s like this... I got an old barn out back. It’s been there a long time. It’s withstood a lot of weather, it’s gone through a lot of storms, and it’s stood for many years. It’s still standing. But one day I noticed it was leaning to one side a bit. So I went and got some pine poles and propped it up on its leaning side so it wouldn’t fall.
Then I got to thinking about how much I was like that old barn. I’ve been around a long time. I’ve withstood a lot of life’s storms, and I’ve withstood a lot of bad weather in life, I’ve withstood a lot of hard times, and I’m still standing, too. But I find myself leaning to one side from time to time, so I like to ask the Lord to prop me up on my leaning side.
I figure a lot of us get to leaning at times. Sometimes we get to leaning toward anger, leaning toward bitterness, leaning toward hatred, leaning toward cussing, leaning toward a lot of things that we shouldn’t. So we need to pray, "Lord, prop us up on our leaning side, so we will stand straight and tall again to glorify You.”
We need You, Lord, to give us the strength to stand whenever we get out of balance. In those times, “Lord, prop us up on our leaning side.”
"Fear not, for I am with you; Be not dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you, Yes, I will help you, I will uphold you with My righteous right hand." (Isaiah 41:10)

Small Straws In A Soft Wind by Marsha Burns
Identify specifically the issues that are causing trouble for you. Do what is necessary to correct those things that you have power to do something about. Let Me give you the wisdom to know what you can do. Then, trust Me with the rest. I can do what you cannot. Deliberately bring these issues to Me and release them, says the Lord. Have faith! Mark 11:22 So Jesus answered and said to them, "Have faith in God.

Stay calm and be at peace as you begin to sort out the details of current situations. Ask, and I will give you the wisdom to know how to handle every problem as well as potential difficulties. Allow My light to dawn in the darkness of your soul, for I will certainly give you the revelation necessary to break through, says the Lord, but you must trust Me. Psalms 112:4 Unto the upright there arises light in the darkness; He is gracious, and full of compassion, and righteous.

It is imperative that you maintain your spiritual position and refuse to allow anyone or anything to distract you from your commitment to My purposes. I would have you constantly reach to be holy and to be an example of light and right. I have given you the tools and the ability to serve with integrity in the Kingdom, says the Lord. Leviticus 20:26 And you shall be holy to Me, for I the LORD am holy, and have separated you from the peoples, that you should be Mine.

Let forgiveness rule in your heart towards all who have insulted you or used and abused you. It is only pride that keeps you from releasing their sins against you. Be filled with My Spirit and allow His fruit to manifest fully in you, says the Lord. Walk in the perfection of peace and come to a position in the Spirit that is safe and secure. Galatians 5:22-23 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control. Against such there is no law.

Come out from the darkness that has kept you from being all you can be in My kingdom, says the Lord. Let all oppression become a thing of the past. Move into the realm of liberty and be free to allow My Spirit to move you from victory to victory. Truly, many of you have been laboring under unnecessary burdens; let Me take them from you. Matthew 11:30 "For My yoke is easy and My burden is light."

It is more important than ever that you actually live in Me and become aware of pitfalls. There is a myriad of distractions that could take you off course if you aren't paying attention. Establish good priorities so that you can remain spiritually connected. Do nothing apart from the moving of My Spirit, says the Lord. John 15:4 "Abide in Me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in Me."

Watch for and take advantage of opportunities to walk in freedom, unrestrained by things that put you down. I not only speak of your personal liberty, but of your ability to set others free. If you are to live free from the tyranny of others, you must also be willing to release those who you have had the power to control. Let go of all bondage, says the Lord. 2 Corinthians 3:17 Now the Lord is the Spirit; and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

The Trumpet by Bill Burns
"Set the trumpet to your mouth!" Hosea 8:1
And, the Lord says, "If you will do that which is written in My Word, then you will indeed receive the benefits of the kingdom of God that I have in store for you. For, the storehouses are about to open, and the blessings are about to flow. What I have reserved for you as the children of the end of the age will surprise all of you. My goodness is about to come in unique and powerful ways--in ways that you cannot even fathom. But, let it be known to your spirit that I can give to you abundantly and exceedingly above all that you can imagine, think or believe. Expect My goodness to come. Embrace it today and receive it."

Closer than a touch on your skin,
deeper than a breath you draw in,
stronger than a hurricane wind,
is the dwelling of God within.
--Terri

Star So Bright
Twinkle, twinkle, star so bright,
Leading with its guiding light,
Shining down for all to see,
A child is born in Galilee.
An angel told the shephards there,
About the child, the clothes He'd wear,
Though He is King, it is the Law,
You'll find Him in a bed of straw!
The people all began to shout'
And find this child they'd heard about,
They saw the star up in the sky,
And knew they'd find Him by and by.
The three Wise Men had traveled far,
To see this child, under the star,
The gifts they gave of wealth untold,
The Love they found, more precious than gold.
For God loves each and every one,
And so He sent His precious son,
To live and die on Calvary,
He gave His life for you and me.
--Sharlett Hunt 12/2/03

"And I will ask the Father, and He will give you another Comforter, that He may remain with you forever--" John 14:16

In you, O LORD, I have taken refuge; let me never be put to shame; deliver me in your righteousness. Turn your ear to me, come quickly to my rescue; be my rock of refuge, a strong fortress to save me. Since you are my rock and my fortress, for the sake of your name lead and guide me. Free me from the trap that is set for me, for you are my refuge. Into your hands I commit my spirit; redeem me, O LORD , the God of truth. Psalm 31:1-5

Brothers, if someone is caught in a sin, you who are spiritual should restore him gently. But watch yourself, or you also may be tempted. Carry each other's burdens, and in this way you will fulfill the law of Christ. If anyone thinks he is something when he is nothing, he deceives himself. Each one should test his own actions. Then he can take pride in himself, without comparing himself to somebody else, for each one should carry his own load. Anyone who receives instruction in the word must share all good things with his instructor. Do not be deceived: God cannot be mocked. A man reaps what he sows. The one who sows to please his sinful nature, from that nature will reap destruction; the one who sows to please the Spirit, from the Spirit will reap eternal life. Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up. Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, especially to those who belong to the f
amily of believers. Galatians 6:1-10

"Have faith in God," Jesus answered. "I tell you the truth, if anyone says to this mountain, 'Go, throw yourself into the sea,' and does not doubt in his heart but believes that what he says will happen, it will be done for him. Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours. And when you stand praying, if you hold anything against anyone, forgive him, so that your Father in heaven may forgive you your sins." Mark 11:22-25

God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble. Psalm 46:1

There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit. Romans 8:1

Let not mercy and truth forsake thee: bind them about thy neck; write them upon the table of thine heart. Proverbs 3:3

For everything God created is good, and nothing is to be rejected if it is received with thanksgiving, because it is consecrated by the word of God and prayer. If you point these things out to the brothers, you will be a good minister of Christ Jesus, brought up in the truths of the faith and of the good teaching that you have followed. Have nothing to do with godless myths and old wives' tales; rather, train yourself to be godly. For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for both the present life and the life to come. This is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance (and for this we labor and strive), that we have put our hope in the living God, who is the Savior of all men, and especially of those who believe. Command and teach these things. Don't let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in life, in love, in faith and in purity. Until I come, devote yo
urself to the public reading of Scripture, to preaching and to teaching. Do not neglect your gift, which was given you through a prophetic message when the body of elders laid their hands on you. Be diligent in these matters; give yourself wholly to them, so that everyone may see your progress. Watch your life and doctrine closely. Persevere in them, because if you do, you will save both yourself and your hearers. 1 Timothy 4-16

Serve the Lord with joy; come before him with singing. Psalm 100:2

Praise the LORD , O my soul; all my inmost being, praise his holy name. Praise the LORD , O my soul, and forget not all his benefits - who forgives all your sins and heals all your diseases, who redeems your life from the pit and crowns you with love and compassion, who satisfies your desires with good things so that your youth is renewed like the eagle's. Psalm 103:1-5

Serve your Lord humbly and with genuine joy, and you will attract others to our Christ. Romans 10:2

With A Glimmer of Hope by Wally Odum
"One night at dinner a man, who had spent many summers in Maine, fascinated his companions by telling of his experiences in a little town named Flagstaff. The town was to be flooded, as part of a large lake for which a dam was being built. In the months before it was to be flooded, all improvements and repairs in the whole town were stopped. What was the use of painting a house if it were to be covered with water in six months? Why repair anything when the whole village was to be wiped out? So, week by week, the whole town became more and more bedraggled, more gone to seed, more woebegone. Then he added by way of explanation: "Where there is no faith in the future, there is no power in the present."
Isaiah spoke about Jesus hundreds of years before Jesus' birth. Matthew reached back to that prophecy to help us understand who Jesus is and what He came to do. Jesus came to bring hope to the world. Hope is so often in short supply in our world. Fear and negativity can cloud our vision of the future. Jesus has come for those whose hope is failing.
Isaiah put it this way "A bruised reed he will not break, and a smoldering wick he will not snuff out" (Isaiah 42:3).
Matthew quoted him, "He will not crush those who are weak, or quench the smallest hope, until he brings full justice with his final victory. And his name will be the hope of all the world" (Matthew 12:20-21).
His name is not only the hope of the world at large. He is the hope for the weakest and smallest person. He is the hope for us all. He takes us, weak as we are, and builds on the smallest glimmer of hope.
Jamie Buckingham quoted Hugo Gryn, a London rabbi, in Charisma magazine. Hugo told of a holocaust experience in the German magazine, Der Morgen:
"It was the cold winter of 1944 and although we had nothing like calendars, my father who was a fellow prisoner there, took me and some of our friends to a corner of the barrack. He announced it was the eve of Hanukkah, produced a curious-shaped clay bowl, and began to light a wick immersed in his precious, but now melted, margarine ration.
Before he could recite the blessing, I protested at this waste of food. He said, 'You and I have seen that it is possible to live up to three weeks without food. We once lived almost three days without water. But you cannot live properly for three minutes without hope.' "
No matter what we face today, Jesus is our hope. Even if we're weak and our hope is small, He has come to give us a bright picture of tomorrow. We can rest in that.

Father God, open our eyes so we can see those that you send our way to be our teachers, remove from our minds those preconceived ideas that would blind us to the lessons you would have us learn. Remove from our hearts any prejudice that would place barriers between us and the blessings you wish to pour out through our brothers and sisters in Christ. Keep us forever teachable through your gentle conviction and encouragement. --Katherine Walden

Read Through The Bible
Nehemiah Deals with Oppression
1 And there was a great outcry of the people and their wives against their Jewish brethren. 2 For there were those who said, “We, our sons, and our daughters are many; therefore let us get grain, that we may eat and live.” 3 There were also some who said, “We have mortgaged our lands and vineyards and houses, that we might buy grain because of the famine.” 4 There were also those who said, “We have borrowed money for the king’s tax on our lands and vineyards. 5 Yet now our flesh is as the flesh of our brethren, our children as their children; and indeed we are forcing our sons and our daughters to be slaves, and some of our daughters have been brought into slavery. It is not in our power to redeem them, for other men have our lands and vineyards.” 6 And I became very angry when I heard their outcry and these words. 7 After serious thought, I rebuked the nobles and rulers, and said to them, “Each of you is exacting usury from his brother.” So I called a great assembly against them. 8 And I said to them, “According to our ability we have redeemed our Jewish brethren who were sold to the nations. Now indeed, will you even sell your brethren? Or should they be sold to us?” Then they were silenced and found nothing to say. 9 Then I said, “What you are doing is not good. Should you not walk in the fear of our God because of the reproach of the nations, our enemies? 10 I also, with my brethren and my servants, am lending them money and grain. Please, let us stop this usury! 11 Restore now to them, even this day, their lands, their vineyards, their olive groves, and their houses, also a hundredth of the money and the grain, the new wine and the oil, that you have charged them.” 12 So they said, “We will restore it, and will require nothing from them; we will do as you say.” Then I called the priests, and required an oath from them that they would do according to this promise. 13 Then I shook out the fold of my garment and said, “So may God shake out each man from his house, and from his property, who does not perform this promise. Even thus may he be shaken out and emptied.” And all the assembly said, “Amen!” and praised the Lord. Then the people did according to this promise.
The Generosity of Nehemiah
14 Moreover, from the time that I was appointed to be their governor in the land of Judah, from the twentieth year until the thirty-second year of King Artaxerxes, twelve years, neither I nor my brothers ate the governor’s provisions. 15 But the former governors who were before me laid burdens on the people, and took from them bread and wine, besides forty shekels of silver. Yes, even their servants bore rule over the people, but I did not do so, because of the fear of God. 16 Indeed, I also continued the work on this wall, and we did not buy any land. All my servants were gathered there for the work. 17 And at my table were one hundred and fifty Jews and rulers, besides those who came to us from the nations around us. 18 Now that which was prepared daily was one ox and six choice sheep. Also fowl were prepared for me, and once every ten days an abundance of all kinds of wine. Yet in spite of this I did not demand the governor’s provisions, because the bondage was heavy on this people. 19 Remember me, my God, for good, according to all that I have done for this people.

Dear God, thank you for knowing us, loving us, and caring for us. Help us to live in ways that please you, serving you by loving and serving others. Thank you, God, for every opportunity you give us to share your goodness with others. Help us to be aware of these opportunities and to act on them.In Jesus' name. Amen

Wherever you are in life, whatever you've done, you can begin again. If you do not have Jesus in your life and wish to ask Jesus into your life please go to this link now to do so: http://www.bluidkiti.com/forums/showthread.php?t=130 .
Jesus is calling you to live a life that matters.
We stay sober and clean together - one day at a time!
God says that each of us is worth loving.
bluidkiti is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Post New ThreadReply